1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we doing any research progress?

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by tuha, Jul 11, 2020.

1. tuha

tuha Established Member (Voting Rights)

In the last years I read a lot of ME/CFS research studies and theories about what could be wrong in ME/CFS.
    I understand that research progress is very slow but I would expect that at least 1-2 of those theories will be already confirmed.
    I have impression that the research got stuck.
    What is with these studies/theories?:
    - hypometabolism
    - Davis study with the sickest pacients
    - something in the blood
    - endothel dysfunction (Fludge/Mela)
    - neuro inflamation (Young)
    - mikroglie
    - mitochondria problems
    - cytokinies
    - mikrobiome
    - muscle and lactate studies
    - genetic studies
    - etc.

Do you have the same impression?

sebaaa, alktipping, Legend and 8 others like this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No. Not really. Progress is frustratingly slow but there's probably more going on now than ever before. The covid pandemic will inevitably have slowed things down but, on the other hand, may lead to research that helps in the long run.

The most heartening thing recently, for me anyway, is the DecodeME study getting funding. On top of that the coverage of the study has been way better than I expected. Hopefully, this indicates a shift in attitudes and this shift might tempt more talent to the field of ME research.

Unless we suddenly get very lucky, we're still playing a very long game though.

Simon M, sebaaa, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's too slow. There should be more research projects and more researchers.

sebaaa, Hutan, Legend and 10 others like this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me what I see as frustrating is that there seem to be a lot of small scale studies with promising suggestions, that need larger scale follow ups. But also it all feels very fragmentary, there are no evidenced over aching theories that might be able to tie all these fragments of knowledge together.

Obviously we need more funding and more good researchers. We have the Decode ME study in the pipeline, but even that may only provide pointers for more research.

Mithriel, sebaaa, Sean and 11 others like this.
  5. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

1) Robert Phair's metabolic trap study (labwork) is ongoing but delayed due to Covid--Phair gave a short update on PR a month or two ago.

2) Need more clinical studies of existing approved compounds that *might* work in ME/CFS--e.g. (1) JAK inhibitors (rinvoq reduces fatigue in RA https://www.rinvoq.com/); (2) Alemtuzumab; (3) quick follow up on cyclo study.

Yessica, Ron, voner and 3 others like this.