Article Bristol Post - ‘I can barely lift my head’ - What it's like living with ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Oct 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not a recommendation

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/i-feel-like-im-stuck-3363188

(could have been a good article if it weren't for the opening line attributing it to bullying at school and subsequent use of 'chronic fatigue' throughout the article)

eta: similar article in the Mirror
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/crippling-chronic-illness-saw-woman-20525694

Joh, Anna H and JemPD like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have developed ME after eating strawberries as a kid.

I also developed ME after completing an associate degree at university.

There were birds in the sky before I contracted ME. There still are. Clearly there's a link there, too.

Annamaria, wdb, ladycatlover and 11 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I know stress is controversial I reckon stress due to caring for parent with severe dementia could have been a contributing factor in me developing ME. That’s purely down to timing and the start of insomnia.

Maybe it’s not the best article but she’s talking from her experience not as a scientist about what causes ME.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Joh and 4 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who made the video I wonder it's the same one in both articles... it's not great.

It's the only article I think I've ever seen though (I only read the Mirror one as that's what my family read so the Bristol one may not say it) that says that "symptoms can vary from day to day & even within a day". my bolding

That is one of the hardest things to get across to people - I can be walking at 10am, albeit slowly & with a stick, & not more than 15-20mtrs, but upright & walking & able to speak clearly & understand, but then unable to even stand up or do more than grunt by noon.

5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

it makes me think that she has been gaslighted from an early age into believing all that bps crap she does mention having infections but the article just glosses over them . imho this is a really poor article as usual a piss poor lazy excuse of a journalist not willing or capable of doing any actual research .

Annamaria, MEMarge and Wonko like this.
  6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That variation was what Dr Ramsay felt to be the cardinal symptom of ME along with an abnormal response to exercise. We have corrected the misconceptions of CFS to rediscover PEM but this variation as he said "by the hour, the day, the week, the month and year" has not been given the same modern consideration.

In the early days of BPS, it was mentioned but only to the extent that they said that if things could work properly for a while you could get them to work properly all the time.

Simbindi, alktipping, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I would not blame Rachel for the article. It's clearly been written by the journalist with the bullying slant to catch readers attention. The stuff about how it affects her is actually pretty good - emphasising her determination to keep trying but being knocked back all the time by crashing.

The video is awful. Says ME is tiredeness and other symptoms. And that most people recover.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019