Open Australia: Griffith Uni: ION CHANNEL DYSFUNCTION IN ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Tom Kindlon, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This group of researchers have been implicating TRP ion channels for several years now, has anybody
    replicated their findings?
    If it was a valid finding surely it would have been validated by now.

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From the linked flyer

"This project aims to investigate the role of ion channel dysfunction in ME/CFS and PVS patients as potential diagnostic and therapeutic targets.

We are recruiting the following participants:

• ME/CFS group: participants who have received a diagnosis of ME/CFS (where diagnosis was made using the CCC 2003 or ICC 2011 definitions).

• PVS group: participants reporting chronic symptoms following a known viral infection, but have not received a diagnosis of ME/CFS nor other medical condition explaining the symptoms.

• Control group: participants who report no health concerns.

The inclusion criteria are as follows:

• Australian residents aged 18 to 65 years old

• Non-smoker

• No current diagnosis of serious chronic illness, e.g. autoimmune, cancer, cardiovascular, diabetes or primary psychiatric diseases

• Not pregnant or breastfeeding

This study involves:

• Donations of 84ml of blood

• Completion of an online questionnaire"

4. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think there's anything 'invalid' in what the Griffiths Uni team are doing - it's the way lots of chemical physiology has progressed, teasing apart one element at a time. With TRPICs there's a range of related functions, all of which may operate in different ways https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_receptor_potential_channel#Families Certainly it's a labourious way of going about things which is why a lot is riding on Decode ME as possible means to shortcut what is otherwise a long hard slog.

Hutan, Sean, merylg and 3 others like this.
  5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It sounds like an interesting possibility to rule in or out—good luck to them. :thumbsup: It'd be great to get a reasonably clear result in an ME research project, even if it's a negative that advances our knowledge of where not to look.

Trish, Hutan, merylg and 3 others like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which saves resources and lets them go to other projects. Most of the research is advance an idea, test it till it breaks, find a new idea. Eventually one wont break.

MeSci, Binkie4, Wonko and 5 others like this.