Beyond “Psychotropic”: Repurposing Psychiatric Drugs for COVID-19, Alzheimer’s Disease, and Cancer, 2023, Santosh et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by rvallee, Mar 17, 2024.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Beyond “Psychotropic”: Repurposing Psychiatric Drugs for COVID-19, Alzheimer’s Disease, and Cancer
    https://www.psychiatrist.com/jcp/be...tric-drugs-covid-19-alzheimer-disease-cancer/

Importance: “Psychotropic” drugs have widespread reach and impact throughout the brain and body. Thus, many of these drugs could be repurposed for non-psychiatric indications of high public health impact.

Observations: The selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) fluvoxamine was shown efficacious as a COVID-19 treatment based on randomized controlled trials (RCTs), and a benefit of other antidepressants has been posited based on observational and preclinical studies. In this review, we illuminate features of SSRIs and other psychiatric drugs that make them candidates to repurpose for non-psychiatric indications. We summarize research that led to fluvoxamine’s use in COVID-19 and provide guidance on how to use it safely. We summarize studies suggestive of benefit of other antidepressants versus COVID-19 and long COVID. We also describe putative mechanisms of psychiatric drugs in treating long COVID, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, and other conditions.

Conclusion and Relevance: There is a potentially great clinical and public health impact of psychotropic drug repurposing. Challenges exist to such repurposing efforts, but solutions exist for researchers, regulators, and funders that overcome these challenges.

Sean and Kitty like this.
  2. rvallee

I've seen some discussions lately of fluvoxamine and its possible relevance to both COVID and Long Covid, especially given their "other" properties. I've long suspected that SSRIs have much more to explain their impacts than some "antidepressant" effect, or even the simple blocking of serotonin receptors.

Unfortunately the obsession over biopsychosocial ideology and its cheap reductionism over simple terms like "depression" and "anxiety" seems to take all the air out of this avenue of research. This is so much more complex than this, and although I don't think that SSRIs are likely to be especially significant, they seem to be a step on the way to understanding where immunity influences behavior and systemic/overall well-being.

This particular caught my eye:

livinglighter, Sean and Kitty like this.
  3. rvallee

Bit similar here:

SSRIs differentially modulate the effects of pro-inflammatory stimulation on hippocampal plasticity and memory via sigma 1 receptors and neurosteroids
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41398-023-02343-3

Sean and Kitty like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how many of these drugs being touted for re-purposing are highly addictive. I wouldn't take a drug I thought was going to wreck my life with an addiction.

Edit : Given that doctors have denied that many common drugs in use throughout the last 70 years are addictive and patients have been told that weaning off is not necessary, I simply wouldn't trust a doctor on this issue.

oldtimer likes this.
  5. poetinsf

poetinsf Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It is unfortunate that some drugs made their entry via psychiatry, and ended up labelled as psych drugs.

livinglighter and rvallee like this.
  7. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to the better studies we've seen fluvoxamine has no effect on Covid or preventing LC:
    Unless someone can actually produce good evidence this seems no different to the Ivermectin conspiracy which had to undergo multiple trials showing it didn't work, even though there was no evidence it would work in the first place, all of this money could have been better spent elsewhere to actually help people.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2024