1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BMJ Archives of Diseases in Childhood: ''Editor’s note on correction to Crawley et al. (2018)'', 2019, Nick Brown. (SMILE LP Trial)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BMJ has "corrected" the Lightning Process study but has allowed its conclusions to stand, as far as I can tell. I will have more to say about this. Apparently, the authors have convinced the journal that the outcome swapping had nothing to do with the fact that the revised primary outcome had positive results: "The process has additionally involved seeking assurance from the authors that the change in primary outcome was not influenced by (positive) findings in the feasibility phase."

Everything was an innocent mistake after all!

https://adc.bmj.com/content/early/2019/07/11/archdischild-2017-313375ednote?fbclid=IwAR3-LBW7tdYPwycVC0p0ozmkjdT6bzMx9nz0XVrrfPk97Rp59e1vafba3P0

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It shouldn't matter whether or not the editor believes it was all an innocent mistake, what matters is that the BMJ should never have published it.

"The process has additionally involved seeking assurance from the authors that the change in primary outcome was not influenced by (positive) findings in the feasibility phase."

Would a pharmaceutical company be allowed to offer such a gentlemanly assurance?

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Out of curiosity I had a look at all the threads we have on David Tuller's efforts to get this dealt with. Here are all the threads I found:

Dec 2017
    Tuller / Trial By Error: The Crawley Chronicles, Resumed

Blog: David Tuller, "Trial By Error: My Questions for the Science Media Centre"

January 2018
    David Tuller: Trial By Error: Professor Crawley’s Bogus BuzzFeed Claims - 17th January 2018

Trial By Error: A Letter to Archives of Disease in Childhood

February 2018
    Trial By Error: A Letter to BMJ Open

March 2018
    David Tuller - Trial By Error: My Exchange With Archives of Disease in Childhood

April 2018
    Tuller, Trial By Error: Our Latest Tango with BMJ Open…

May 2018
    David Tuller: Trial By Error: NICE's Consideration of the Lightning Process

June 2018
    David Tuller: Trial By Error: BMJ Still "Looking Into" Lightning Process Paper

David Tuller: Trial By Error: My Letter to MP Monaghan About BMJ Studies

David Tuller: Trial By Error: A Letter to Health Officials About BMJ’s Lax Editorial Standards

David Tuller: Trial By Error: My Letter to the Science Media Centre about BMJ Study

David Tuller: Trial By Error: More Letters About BMJ’s Flawed Pediatric Studies

David Tuller: Trial by Error: My exchange with Professor Bishop

July 2018
    David Tuller: Trial By Error: My Letter To Fiona Godlee

David Tuller: Trial By Error: Waiting for Godlee

David Tuller: Trial By Error: The Contentless “Editor’s Note” About the Lightning Process Trial

August 2018
    David Tuller: Trial By Error: Another Letter to BMJ's Dr. Godlee

October 2018
    David Tuller: Trial By Error: My Latest Letter to Archives of Disease in Childhood

David Tuller: Trial By Error: Where's My Apology, BMJ Open?

November 2018
    David Tuller: Trial By Error: Yet Another Letter About the Lightning Process Study

January 2019
    David Tuller: Trial By Error: My Letter to LP's Study's Senior Author

Trial By Error: Bristol Investigating Crawley Papers

February 2019
    Trial By Error: Letters to Fiona Godlee and Nigel Hawkes

April 2019
    Trial By Error: My Latest Letter to Bristol’s Legal Department

May 2019
    David Tuller: Trial By Error: My Most Recent Exchange with Bristol

Trial By Error: A Plea to Fiona Godlee on a Familiar Topic

Trial By Error: The Lightning Process Is “Effective”? Really?

June 2019
    David Tuller: Trial By Error: Time to Retract the LP Study; Letter to Archives of Disease in Childhood

Trial By Error: Another Review Mentions LP Study and Prompts More Letters

Trial By Error: An Update about the Pediatric MUS Systematic Review

July 2019
    Trial By Error: FOI Response from Bristol about LP Study; Correction in BJGP about MUS

Marit @memhj, Graham, Barry and 36 others like this.
  4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

wow! what kind of an insane person would devote that kind of energy on such a piece of garbage??

5. Trish

6. Trish

And the really annoying thing is, now they tell us that while you were doing all that work, they were quietly getting on with a process of editing and reviewing. They could have informed you of that at any stage, and saved you all that trouble.

And after all that, they cravenly gave in to Crawley et al's ridiculous claim that the outcome switching was not influenced by the results of the pilot.

Piffle I say.

7. large donner

large donner Guest

How exactly have the BMJ issued a correction in this case?

Which protocol now appears as the original one on the paper and how is history revision permitted in such circumstances?

If they have outlined the correction to show the original protocol doesn't that change the "positive results" when matched to the outcome swapping?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Ellie_Finesse, Barry, Sean and 14 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The right kind?

Hutan, Forbin, sea and 29 others like this.
  9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The scientific method seems now to be the method by which papers come to be published in "scientific" journals.

Annamaria, Barry, WillowJ and 16 others like this.
  10. Esther12

It looks like the original version of the article is still available on PMC, and I archived a copy here in case it's useful: https://web.archive.org/web/20190711172758/https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5865512/

I tried to compare the text here ( bit of a mess - I had trouble getting this to work and I didn't compare the tables - anyone want to try to clean things up? I fear my poor attempt could lead to people missing important changes): https://www.diffchecker.com/AvCo4xsy

Edit: I'm an idiot and wasted my time - they listed the changes here - what follows is just the bits I pulled out on my own so I'd recommend reading their info: https://adc.bmj.com/content/early/2019/07/11/archdischild-2017-313375corr1

It looks like they removed this:

Added stuff:

Finally we get info on their original primary outcome... they didn't have 'capacity' to collect it:

Are they planning to correct the ISRCTN (they got the acronym wrong) page which still falsely claims that the trial was prospectively registered?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Barry, JohnTheJack, sea and 10 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is pathetic. How is any of this seriously worth damaging BMJ's reputation like this? I know they expect no consequences for it but inevitably there will be. This would never be tolerated in a non-controversial disease and once the veil of controversy is lifted there will be hard questions.

Basically BMJ's position, like PLOS's position a few years earlier, is that their rules have a secret "or whatever" clause where things that are required can be waived off for inexplicable reasons. Those rules are subject to arbitrary suspension whenever someone feels like it. Just a suggestion, no big deal. Scientific method, shientific shmethod.

The whole study becomes even more meaningless given this. And it remains, its extraordinary conclusions placed on the same level as any large double-blinded placebo-controlled trial, because... reasons. The political demand for this ideology is something to watch. No matter the cost, no matter the consequences, this insane project will be bullied through.

12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So this stands for NICE' s consideration. Wonderful....

Barry, MEMarge, MSEsperanza and 5 others like this.
  13. Esther12

Barry, JohnTheJack, Dolphin and 6 others like this.
  14. large donner

large donner Guest

Well this is the thing, at what point does a government body decide to consider whether private publications like the BMJ and the Lancet need to be adjudicated over for their own bias?

Or do they go on forever and a day just ignoring that private publications can get things appallingly wrong and then just dig their heels in knowing that they can hide behind, "governments should not interfere with science."

What happens when private publications have made a complete hash of science and realise they have to double down, obfuscate, deny, ignore and worse simply to protect their own reputation.

What happens when they are just incompetent idiots?

Do government agencies that affect public health care just have to ignore the elephant in the room and claim they have to issue advice based on the "scientific evidence" published in the private domain especially when that evidence has been bought and paid for with public funds.

Its such a cluster fuck of the public paying for their own abuse via collection of public funds by the government who are supposedly there to serve the people.

It's pathetic when it becomes even clearer that the, "scientific outcomes" often start out as political desires.

Its an unmerry-go-round.

Annamaria, Daisy, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  15. Trish

It's still an unblinded trial with subjective outcome measures, so not scientifically useful.

And there is no long term follow up (LTFU) data as far as I know. Other trials such as PACE and FINE with transient improvements shown on subjective measures in the short term found the effects had gone by LTFU.

We also now have the data, which looks to me like a mess with lots of missing scores and some meaningless scores. @JohnTheJack I hope someone is looking closely at the data for possible re-analysis.

16. large donner

large donner Guest

One of the reasons being the changed protocol decided not to use the objective school records as a measure of attendance and just asked the kids if they had attended or not and never matched the two.

Forbin, Dolphin, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  17. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

O. M. G. This is a car crash. A mega-wreck. Just look at it! LOOK AT IT!!!!

They've been allowed to correct it to admit to all sorts of shenanigans. And still keep the same Conclusions. Flippin 'eck!

Cross-linking with my analysis on the other thread.

I'm going to look at this in more detail, and judging by the timeline from the editor's note, they only released the data once re-publication was assured. It should have "expressions of concern" all over it. Like my face at the moment.

lol

18. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I always reckon you have to be a little bit mad to stay sane :)

Annamaria, inox, Sarah94 and 8 others like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Clearly we need more insane people.

Annamaria, Barry, inox and 8 others like this.
  20. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the editor's note;
    Would be interesting to see these reviews as well as the "further unpublished work" that "suggests [school attendance using school records] highly correlated with the self report measure we used" and "could have provided an objective outcome" if only we had the "capacity to check" this. (EC & et al 2018)

(Edited to remove some muddled thoughts).

Annamaria, Barry, inox and 10 others like this.