1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BMJ Opinion: To speed progress in treating chronic conditions, engage patients and caregivers as research partners, 2021, Lubell

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/09/2...patients-and-caregivers-as-research-partners/

2. Remain in Light

Remain in Light Established Member (Voting Rights)

Believe patients! Whatever next?

sebaaa, Wits_End, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I agree with his suggestion that it's good to listen to patients. But I'm wary of suggesting closed FB groups are the best place to find them. It's a minefield full of groups espousing all sorts of quack remedies like LP and supplement protocols which can mislead researchers (and patients), especially as the group leaders select and ban members to keep the group on message.

I think it would be better for researchers to keep away from such closed groups and instead adopt some of the suggested methods, such as providing patients with easy and reliable methods of tracking their symptoms, activity levels and medication/supplement use. But the patients in such studies need to be selected on a basis other than self selecting closed FB groups. This sort of study needs representative population sample selection, I think.

4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also wonder about the simple approach of routinely asking patients to come to an annual review prepared with a list of the five things that are most challenging about living with their illness, and five things they've found helpful in managing it.

This gets away from the groupthink and self-diagnosis of social media, offers an opportunity to review what changes over time, and could highlight individual symptoms that are amenable to treatment.

Just as importantly, it acknowledges patients' difficulties, and helps doctors get a better picture of the condition – they'd soon understand that ME isn't mostly about fatigue, for instance, and they might pick up simple management strategies they could share with other patients.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

That’s a great idea @Kitty

6. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think some carers can be a more reliable source for information than patients: that is certainly true in my household. My wife spots when I am flagging long before I notice it, and she remembers symptoms and severity much more clearly than my befuddled brain can manage.

ahimsa, Mithriel, freddyV and 13 others like this.
  7. freddyV

freddyV Established Member

So true, my strategy in dealing with ME is not to think about what I can't do, but have a simple target every day. However, my wonderful wife regularly sees me underachieving whilst I remain unaware how ill I am. It is no wonder "positive" outcomes are reported after GET, because we WANT to feel better than we are and fool ourselves most days that a small step forward has been made, ignorant of the fact we actually slid sideways or even backwards as soon as we woke, had we even slept....

Skycloud, TiredSam, ahimsa and 5 others like this.