Brian Walitt and his role leading ME/CFS research at the USA NIH

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Arvo, Mar 6, 2024.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Good I hope she made him squirm

Binkie4, rainy, JohnTheJack and 13 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd have been tempted to bill him too, to let him show the audience what he is. After all, if he destroys his credibility himself, pwME won't be accused of abusive tactics. Again. :whistle:

Ash, Arvo, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

IiME have in the past invited people they do not necessarily agree with. That was one of the things that impressed me about the meetings.

Arvo, EzzieD, JohnTheJack and 17 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Nath has been before hasn’t he. If I were him I would be insisting Wallit came along to deal with the flak W has generated rather than covering for him myself.

I hope they have been having words in Naths ear as well. “your choice of sidekick - big mistake mate. Making you look like a numpty”

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024
    Arvo, EzzieD, HolyScrod and 13 others like this.
  5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only time I attended Nath & Vicky Whittemore were both there --- mingling after their talks.
    Vicky highlighted that:
    • a rare disease she was responsible for had just had a breakthrough - causative gene identified and thus drug development could begin; and
    • the underlying cause of ME/CFS hadn't been identified --- thus drug development couldn't begin.
    DecodeME may just be that breakthrough and/or rare variant genetic study ---.

EzzieD, Deanne NZ, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  6. Arvo

Arvo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't do much with this topic atm, but parking this here for any future continuation or usefulness for others:

From Jeannette Burmeister's blog series on the NIH's intramural study on ME, The NIH Intramural ME Study: “Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics” (Part 1) | Thoughts About M.E. (thoughtsaboutme.com), reply detail from the Nature Portfolio peer review file (link):

"The results presented come from an analysis at the whole brain level which is a common method in fMRI. There was no a-priori area selected, as this analysis was performed to explore what happened in the brain that led to the failure in performance." (regarding TPJ portion)

"The approach selected with GEE was necessary to determine the primary objective of our study, the existence of EffRT performance difference between the PI-ME/CFS and HV 244 groups." (Effort preference/EffRT portion)

Amw66, Solstice, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  7. Arvo

The impression I got so far is that Nath is sort of "stuck" and in over his head, and that even if he would wish to distance himself from Walitt and this effort preference angle, he can't really without damaging his career at NIH, because his boss and NIH bigwig Koroshetz wishes to park this in the NINDS-facilitated NCCIH interoception project as well. Nath got asked to the position by the then NIH director Collins and NINDS director Koroshetz, which I imagine would have been a very big deal to him; then he came to rely heavily on Walitt (who had been treating ME/CFS as an interoceptive disorder since at least 2010 and who brought in a bunch of his NCCIH colleagues in the study and followed his own methods and views), then in 2019 Walitt was acting director of the NCCIH's intramural programme and fellow director of the new NIH pain center (another NCCIH initiative), the same year the Koroshetz-supported NCCIH/NINDS interoception programme got kicked off. In 2021 Walitt got rewarded with the directorship of the new Interoceptive Disorders Unit at the NINDS. (And as I list here, it appears likely that others within the Trans-NIH ME/CFS Working Group might wish this direction as well.)

On paper Nath is Walitt's superior in the study, but between him and Koroshetz (and possibly Collins who is collaborating with several organisers of the NCCIH interoception project) I wouldn't be surprised if he is mostly trying to keep his head above water and not look like he fucked up. (At least, if he doesn't actually agree with ME/CFS as an interoceptive disorder that is.)

Binkie4, Lindberg, Yann04 and 12 others like this.
  8. Arvo

Notes of possible puzzle pieces (in case I want to pick this up later):

• Koroshetz' NINDS (which also staffs Nath and Walitt) is listed as a collaborative partner of COFFI on their web page. Link

• NCCIH currently initiates NIH collaborative funding seminars for a "Whole Person Research and coordination center."
    Link announcement
    Link RFA​

• The aim for the NCCIH for this project, as stated by their director Langevin in 2022 at their "whole person health stakeholder meeting", is that "whole person health could be a unifying concept for the complementary and integrative health field. NCCIH defines whole person health as empowering individuals, families, communities, and populations to improve their health in multiple, interconnected domains: biological, behavioral, social, and environmental." Link PDF meeting.

• Foreign institutions can receive grants from the NCCIH. One of two special requirements that will be assesed in the review of the application is:
    "Whether the proposed project has specific relevance to the mission and objectives of NCCIH and has the potential for significantly advancing the health sciences in the United States." Link

(Again, these are just loose notes. Could be nothing, could be important.)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2024 at 11:26 AM
  9. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh well spotted @Arvo

Arvo, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.