1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bristol CFS/ME clinic researching patients' problems with Chalder Fatigue Questionnaire

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mod note: This discussion has been split from a thread in the members only area.

Recently saw this on the Bristol Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME Service website (under Research):

https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/our-services...ndromeme-service/chronic-fatigue-syndromeme-2

don't know how long this study has been going on. Anyone have any details?
    (amazing that they've only just realised there might be a problem with the CFQ).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2019
    Joh, MEMarge, Snowdrop and 15 others like this.
  2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If Chalder and co didn't have enough rubbish papers based around that damned questionnaire, they can now add another to the list about how to complete the god damn thing. How very meta.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    MEMarge, JemPD, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More recently than May 2016, which is the only version on the Wayback Machine and did not have any references to such research.

The notable part is they only care about difficulties answering the questions, not whether patients believe the questionnaire is relevant to their illness.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    MEMarge, Snowdrop, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Probably the silly patients fault filling it in all wrong

MEMarge, rvallee, Annamaria and 5 others like this.
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe they are realizing that it's not a great idea to ask chronically ill people to try and remember how they felt before the illness which may have been years and decades ago.

MEMarge, Sarah94, Annamaria and 7 others like this.
  6. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It is such a poor questionnaire that it doesn't need a research project to say that.

MEMarge, Cheshire, Sarah94 and 8 others like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems unlikely a qualitative study on this from Esther Crawley & co will be useful. Wonder who decided that would be a good use of resources?

MEMarge, Snowdrop, Louie41 and 3 others like this.
  8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this
    how much funding is this swallowing up?

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Something tells me that the real motivation is that despite decades of trying they still can't get the answers they want and want to figure out how to do that. Not quite getting what it would mean to the dozens of studies that relied on it to produce some of the answers they wanted, just not strongly enough.

Of course the real problem is that the questionnaire is utterly useless because the questions are leading and ambiguous. It was created specifically to achieve desired answers and still failed at it. It is exactly as useful as a skull caliper to measure IQ and of equal scientific value.

Amw66, MEMarge, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  10. rvallee

However much it is, it should have to be paid back in full for being such a stupid waste of limited resources. All of it, PACE included.

11. Sly Saint

could be related to this
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/new-crawley-research-morph-cfs.1800/#post-31201

Annamaria and MEMarge like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Annamaria, rvallee and MEMarge like this.
  13. rvallee

The only reason to explain why the CFQ was used at all in PACE is because Chalder was involved. It is an entirely useless tool for the evaluation of ME (and even CFS in the broader sense). So I would say yes. Walking-talking egos incapable of seeing beyond their limited abilities and insisting the voices in their heads are more reliable than objective reality.

EzzieD, MEMarge, Annamaria and 2 others like this.
  14. Sly Saint

https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/our-services...ndromeme-service/chronic-fatigue-syndromeme-2

Andy, MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It doesn't bode well when they talk of a Q that is 'easier' to complete. To me it means they are not listening or at least are still caught up in spinning their errors by turning it into our problem. We have difficulty filling in the Q as written. NO. We find the Q as written
    not relevant to our health issues. That's on them. It's not because we have 'difficulty' and need it to be 'easier'.

Spare me the arrogance. They can never seem to admit any failing is on them.

Mithriel, EzzieD, Sly Saint and 8 others like this.