1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bristol Neuroscience awarded £6.5 million to nurture mental health by keeping young brains on track

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, May 13, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2022/may/bristol-neuroscience-awarded-65-million.html

Missense, MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Missense and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's nice to have friends:

"Esther Crawley, Professor of Child Health in Bristol Medical School, will lead a team of epidemiologists, psychologists, sociologists and engineers on a pioneering project, called ‘Sleep Tracking and Treatment for Adolescent Mental health Problems (STTAMP)’.

The team will use smartphone apps to detect and treat insomnia before it takes root, setting young people back on track and avoiding long-term mental health problems. The £1 million programme will be funded predominantly by The Prudence Trust, with additional University of Bristol funding for a clinical PhD."

The Prudence Trust

"Very few people now doubt the importance of mental health and illness to individuals, families and society. What makes the Prudence Trust different is that they want to help build the evidence to decide what to do and, what not to do.

Prof Sir Simon Wessely
    Member of the Prudence Trust Mental Health Advisory Panel"

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe they need this in Bristol since, if I remember rightly, students at Bristol are the most miserable in the country.

Didn't we used to have this treatment for sleep irregularity sixty years ago?
    'Time you were in bed and stopped playing that guitar.'

I was taught that sleep problems were an effect of mental illness though, not a cause.

rainy, cassava7, FMMM1 and 12 others like this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately Prof Crawley, judging on the basis of her press interviews on ME, is strongly committed to the belief that behavioural changes will positively impact on brain function:

6. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had my ME permanently worsened by sleep deprivation. I've also acquired a severe mental health (Not that I'm a mind/body dualist) condition from years of inadequate sleep.

All these behavioural solutions are nonsense though.

Here's an extract from my account of my illness:

"2007 During an appointment with a mental health nurse I was told to practice sleep hygiene. For example: wake up at the same time everyday, can you imagine my anger, I go to the NHS and say I can't sleep, I'm too tired to keep waking up at the same time every morning, and they tell me the solution was to wake up at the same time everyday. She also wrote in my medical notes that I thought I was uniquely ill which was not true. Other sleep hygiene tips included avoiding alcohol and caffeine which seemed so obvious it was an insult to my intelligence. They clearly weren't taking my illness seriously. "

What I needed was a quiet place to sleep, not sleep hygiene.

Amw66, Missense, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We already know teenage brains and sleep cycles differ..more of square peg round hole stuff ?

Missense, alktipping, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In biopsychosocialand, effect is cause.

Missense, MEMarge, Sean and 3 others like this.
  9. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

it would seem the rewards for endless failure are always going up .what a topsy turvey world we live in.

Missense, MEMarge, Sean and 3 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Obviously that's nonsense, and so is the idea that cortisol level = stress, but here she is saying that low level cortisol means stress.

So low presence of "stress" hormone (a metabolic precursor that does many things) means stress, even though obviously a high level must also mean that. OK. I mean we are clearly past the point at which coherence is even seen as a good thing but still, this is literally arguing that up is down and also down is down, if it's what you need it to be.

It's not just the complete abandonment of scientific thinking, it's also the complete abandonment of common sense or even basic validity of statements.

The whole "sleep hygiene" nonsense cannot die soon enough. But at this point it's like everything is dumb anyway.

Missense, Chezboo, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sleep hygiene sounds like the sort of bedtime routines parents use to calm and settle children to ensure they get enough sleep. I have no problem with teaching parents about how much sleep children need, and ways to help enable this so they aren't falling asleep at school or getting stressed by lack of sleep.

I assume this project aims to use wearable sensors to detect whether a child is getting enough sleep. That is presumably just the tracking and measuring bit of the study, and maybe getting daily feedback on it is supposed to contribute to changing parents and kids behaviour. That assumes parents are able to provide safe, quiet routine bedtimes without stressors that keep kids awake like hunger, bullying, etc.

12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Prof Crawley. Specialty: superficial paternalistic infantilising intrusive micromanagement, especially if you don't need it.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

SPIM.

It could catch on.

14. Sly Saint

job ad
    STTAMP Study Manager (STTAMP: Sleep Tracking and Treatment for Adolescent Mental health Problems)
    https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CRE987/s...eatment-for-adolescent-mental-health-problems

Peter Trewhitt and CRG like this.
  15. Amw66

Sadly there is so much about sleep that is not known..
    Sleep hygiene was disastrous for my daughter. I suspect it may be similar for other chronic illnesses ( who will no doubt be susceptible to the mental illness tag as an additional diagnosis)

It will be interesting to see how set backs/ harms/ adverse events are recorded and reported

Sarah94, MEMarge, Sean and 3 others like this.
  16. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or even if they are recognised or recorded.

MEMarge, Sean, Amw66 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well yes but if you have mental illness it is often worse when you’re not sleeping well

MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. Amw66

From varied experience, everything gets worse if you don't sleep well, illness or not.

My vocabulary gets compromised when my sleep is particularly bad. One of the first signs that I need to slow down. Together with carb cravings ..

Sarah94 and MEMarge like this.