1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

British Medical Association article: Long Covid - we've been here before, 2021, J. Trueland

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by EducateME, Feb 12, 2021.

1. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe rest is their version of convalescence, to fit in with their soundbite?

alktipping, Kitty and Invisible Woman like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

There was this paper from last year, Peripheral endothelial dysfunction in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, 2020, Scherbakov et al

and back in 2011 there is this paywalled article, https://www.internationaljournalofcardiology.com/article/S0167-5273(11)01904-8/fulltext,
    Large and small artery endothelial dysfunction in chronic fatigue syndrome
    There are a number of other earlier papers but my Google skills don't reveal anything more current.

alktipping, Kitty, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I doubt it. Very happy to be proven wrong but as far as I can tell rest means rest in the initial stage of illness and, maybe, for a minimum period after. We're talking very short term measured in weeks.

Once they believe the illness has passed then it's time for rehab.

Convalescence implies a much longer post illness recovery period.

As an aside I also find it interesting that while it seems to be accepted that some issues, like a broken leg, take time to heal, that even relatively short term mental health problems take time to resolve, when it comes to viral illnesses after a few weeks you should be fine. I wonder did that start with ME or CFS? Or was this happening anyway?

4. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure if this written interview with David Strain has been linked here:

https://www.dw.com/en/long-covid-symptoms-treatment-support-effects/a-56220741

6. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Invisible Woman

The on air mistake was a pity but I admire & think the better of him for being prepared to publicly set the record straight.

Whatever their field, someone who is prepared to step up and say, I got that wrong / i made a mistake is far more trustworthy and, in my opinion, professional than someone who just constantly makes claims that they were misunderstood without publicly issuing an unambiguous statement correcting the record.

Tia, Sarah94, Joan Crawford and 26 others like this.
  8. MarcNotMark

MarcNotMark Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, there's this from Fluge and Mella (2014), using L-Arginine and L-Citrulline to increase NO. Not sure what became of this.

https://data.epo.org/publication-server/pdf-document?pn=2805730&ki=A1&cc=EP&pd=20141126

Simon M, alktipping, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tried them a couple of years ago - after reading the above research.

They may have helped me, a bit, for a while (months).

I was also doing keto (ish) at the time so the effects of individual things are probably muddied.

I am not currently using them, despite still have significant amounts of both.

Within days of starting them my decades long high BP dropped into normal range - this may be coincidental, but I doubt it as my high BP had been resistant to every drug the NHS had thrown at it.

So, people with low BP 'may' be advised to use caution with these supplements.

alktipping, MEMarge, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Dr Strain's tweet linked above
    Dr Strain, if you ever come on here & read this, i just want to say how much i respect and admire you for this comment. It's so easily done to slip, with the pressure of being on air etc, & instead of attacking us & acting like an arse (which is what we usually get), you just hold your hands up. Awesome. It makes me trust you a bit.

all the best to you and thank you for both your honesty and your support, i wish you well

11. Invisible Woman

Just wondering if anyone who tweets fancies responding to Dr Strain and telling him the interview and his comments after have been discussed on here and we're grateful to him for putting the record straight. Maybe he'd like to pop in to the forum and have a look?

lunarainbows, Michelle and Amw66 like this.