1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cases of Acute Flaccid Myelitis in Minnesota and other states

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Webdog, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/rare-neurological-disease-reported-in-six-minnesota-kids
    Acute Flaccid Myelitis has been compared to polio, and is thought to be linked to Enterovirus D68. The long-term prognosis has not been studied.

rvallee, helen1, Dechi and 8 others like this.
  2. Webdog

3. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Something similar happened in the Seattle area a few years back, some viral infection affecting children neurologically that was equated to polio.

merylg, andypants, Inara and 2 others like this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There were 9 suspected cases in children (1 to 18) in Denver, Colorado in August/September 2014, according the Wikipedia article on acute flaccid myelitis.

By October 2014, 100+ cases had been reported across the US.

merylg, andypants and Inara like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The question is whether they are isolated cases or part of a distinct infectious outbreak which would likely be of enteroviral origin.

I am curious to know the pattern of symptoms (unilateral vs bilateral?), but a press release doesn't reveal this.

There are long term health consequences, I really hope they include these children in a longitudinal study and give them the care they need over the long term.

Pyrrhus, merylg, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  6. Forbin

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    rvallee, merylg, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

That is roughly 1/1,000,000.

Some literature state that the underlying numbers (due to all causes) as a hypothesis from the underlying literature are around 1/100,000 annually and numbers that are an order of magnitude lower than this may suggest reporting/recording of data issues.

Forbin likes this.
  8. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2018
    merylg, Amw66, Inara and 3 others like this.
  9. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if the psychobabblers will say those kids have a false illness belief? There's lots of money to be made from that narrative as we've witnessed.

merylg, leokitten, Inara and 4 others like this.
  10. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

https://www.statnews.com/2018/10/16/polio-like-paralysis-cases-increase/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2018
    merylg, Inara, Manganus and 1 other person like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Depends on whether it develops chronic problems. Then I really hope someone slaps everyone who tries to hijack this yet again and gets them to quit this nonsense and do their freaking job.

I gotta say, without ill will, that it hurts to hear of something similar that has hundreds making huge headlines of cases while our millions of cases go completely ignored and mocked. Last year a working group of the ministry of Ontario published a report warning of the dire situation affecting approximately 1M Canadians from ME, FM and MCS (which I guess is MCAS after all?) combined. I don't think it was covered at all in the press.

merylg, Lisa108, ScottTriGuy and 2 others like this.
  12. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just wanted to leave this update that I read from today regarding AFM :

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/health/afm-cdc-update/index.html?no-st=1542143234 - "As More Cases Confirmed, CDC Says Evidence Suggets 'Viral Association' for AFM"

Some interesting notes from the article:

- "The CDC also seems to be getting closer to determining a cause of the disease. According to the new report, Clinical, laboratory, and epidemiologic evidence to date suggest a viral association."

- "In the past two weeks, the agency has come under criticism from its own medical advisers for not zeroing in on a virus as a cause and instead also considering causes such as genetic disorders and environmental toxins."

- "Two weeks ago, four of the CDC's outside medical advisers on AFM expressed frustration to CNN that the agency insisted on casting its net wide, looking at genetic causes and possible environmental causes. The experts felt that the agency shouldn't waste its time on those causes, which they said were highly unlikely, and instead should focus on a virus as the most likely reason behind AFM."

- "Many of the CDC's outside medical consultants have long thought that a virus -- specifically an enterovirus-- was most likely at the root of AFM"

Pyrrhus, Lisa108, andypants and 8 others like this.
  13. Webdog

Acute Flaccid Myelitis Spreads to 90 Confirmed Cases in 27 States
    https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/904842

merylg, Lisa108, andypants and 3 others like this.
  14. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

merged thread

https://www.theguardian.com/society...dren-paralysis-illness?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2018
    Pyrrhus, merylg, Lisa108 and 3 others like this.
  15. Forbin

It seems odd that AFM is peaking every other year (at least since 2014). When I searched for "biennial virus," the only two that seemed to show up were "Respiratory Syncytial Virus" and "Parainfluenza Virus," both of which are human respiratory viruses.

It seems they think AFM may be caused by an enterovirus (a gut virus).

This LA Times story says:
    [I'll admit my initial thought for a biennial explanation was some sort of widely used agricultural chemical that's only applied every other year.]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    merylg, Lisa108 and ScottTriGuy like this.
  16. Snow Leopard

Viral transmission waxes and wanes from year to year..

There was a japanese study that examined AFM cases - most were attributed to enteroviral causation and the rest were due to Guillain-Barre syndrome. It may be the latter cases which make it difficult to conclusively prove the former...

Inara and merylg like this.
  17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

18. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Established Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/AFM-acute-flaccid-myelitis-CDC-Keith-Van-Haren-13352518.php

From a local news outlet, but it provides a good quote from Stanford’s Dr. Keith Van Haren:

Inara, merylg, andypants and 3 others like this.
  20. Snow Leopard

Indeed, that is the real question "What's keeping them from the same conclusion?"

Similar outbreaks in Japan were mostly attributed to EV-D68 (the rest of the cases were attributed to Guillain-Barré syndrome).
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5850449/

Skycloud, andypants and Pyrrhus like this.