1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CBT for Long-Term Conditions and Medically Unexplained Symptoms by Helen Moya and Philip KINSELLA

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, May 12, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

‘CBT for Long-Term Conditions and Medically Unexplained Symptoms’ by Philip Kinsella and Helen Moya (Routledge 2022)

Exaggeratedly Negative Beliefs Perpetuate LTCs and MUS?

good, detailed write up by Mike Scott
    http://www.cbtwatch.com/exaggeratedly-negative-beliefs-perpetuate-ltcs-and-mus/

2. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mike shared some quotations from this book recently with me. We really are both lost for words really.

I'm pondering how I want to respond. One of the coauthors is a leader on iapt and / or training for iapt, which is appalling.

In the past I have written to multiple iapt services which have advertised in some fashion that they work with MUS. I think I need to update and edit my letter and cc his bosses. I'm making no friends but so what really.

Or post a link to Mike's blog on Amazon

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

These people need to realise we are in the 3rd decade of the 21st Century, their attitudes are so last century.

Lilas, rvallee, Trish and 7 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Last millennium.

Lilas, Wyva, NelliePledge and 6 others like this.
  5. Sean

Very good. :thumbup:

–––––––

Serfaty et al [2019] add ‘our results suggest that resources for a relatively costly therapy such as IAPT-delivered CBT should not be considered as a first-line treatment for depression in advanced cancer. Indeed, these findings raise important questions about the need to further evaluate the use of IAPT for people with comorbid severe illness’.

–––––––

Short version of K&M: 'It's not our fault.'

"generous benefits payment"

I look forward to it. Only been 38 years waiting, and a wrecked life. But any day now.

FFS, if you were looking to scam for easy generous money then "benefits payments" is about the dumbest choice you could make.

One thing to be said for their book is that they have outed themselves as partisan hacks.

bobbler, Snow Leopard, Lilas and 6 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"Book Description

CBT for Long-Term Conditions and Medically Unexplained Symptoms describes how cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) can be used to treat anxiety and depression with a co-morbid long-term physical health condition (LTC) or medically unexplained symptoms (MUS).

The book teaches cognitive behavioural therapists and other clinicians to help patients deal with the psychological aspects of physical symptoms, whatever their cause. It is divided into three parts, beginning with core skills for working with people with LTC and MUS. This includes assessment, formulation and goal setting. Part II focuses on CBT for LTC and includes chapters on low intensity interventions, working with depression and anxiety using protocols, and a consideration of an identity and strengths-based approach to working with LTC. The final part provides details of a formulation driven approach to working with MUS, broken down into individual chapters on working with behaviours, cognitions and emotions.

With numerous case examples, the book provides accessible and practical guidance for mental health professionals, particularly CBT practitioners, working with anyone with long-term conditions or MUS."

Link to publisher, https://www.routledge.com/CBT-for-L...ctitioners/Kinsella-Moya/p/book/9780367424879

Link to the book on Amazon,
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Term-Conditions-Medically-Unexplained-Symptoms-ebook/dp/B09GR3SGGV
    where a preview can be seen.

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is the language in the book as terrible as the excerpts shared, or is it due to copy and paste errors? That first quoted section has no punctuation and the ones further on just seem incredibly muddled and convoluted.

And I'm being a total snob, I'm aware, but my experience from giving feedback on years of English and creative writing work is that those who write incoherently tend think that way too (excluding language difficulties, such as dyslexia, although those don't preclude clear language -- far from it!).

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Looks like the book was published 6 months ago in November 2021, but there's only one review on Amazon, clearly from an IAPT CBT practitioner. Even then it's lukewarm:

So it looks like it's not exactly a best seller! More a turning of an IAPT training course for treating people with long term conditions and MUS into a book, and done pretty badly. Their market is likely to be IAPT therapists and private therapists, and I guess the word will get around that it's not worth spending over £20 on a book that just goes over what they have been told anyway in their training.

The main use of the book for us is it puts into the public domain the prejudices about pwMUS/LTC being perpetuated by the IAPT machine - so a warning to steer well clear of IAPT. And evidence for anyone campaigning against the expansion of IAPT to MUS of just how awful it is.

alktipping, Lilas, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The book says "With MUS psychological processes are generating physical symptoms."

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. The book says a lot of rubbish about MUS, from the bits I read on Amazon.
    It claims to be about treating anxiety or depression in people with MUS, but if you delve into it, it's actually about changing what they think are false illness beliefs about physical symptoms. Basically they lie to patients about their intentions.

11. Joan Crawford

The confidence with which they state this is both shocking, weird and jaw dropingly bizarre

12. Joan Crawford

Yup, shocking. Words fail. Disgusting.

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I genuinely have no idea what "fear of recovery" can even possibly mean, it's so incoherent and foolish. I see delusional nonsense all the time on the Internet, I love following the ins and outs of propaganda and Internet disinformation.

This garbage fits right in with the rest of the dumpster. Zero difference between such weak claims and alluding to demons and evil spirits. This is systemic dysfunction, medicine has lost the damn plot.

14. Sean

And, sadly, completely unsurprising.