Checking our blind spots: current status of research evidence summaries in ME/CFS (2018) Davenport et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by mango, Jul 18, 2018.

1. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Checking our blind spots: current status of research evidence summaries in ME/CFS

Todd E Davenport, Staci R Stevens, J Mark VanNess, Jared Stevens, Christopher R Snell

The evidence-based practice (EBP) model hierarchically organises scientific information by level, from lowly case studies to lofty systematic reviews and clinical trials. Clinical trials best influence recommendations because they putatively have the greatest internal validity.1 This assumption is based on sound research ethics, such as scientific competence and good faith actors, as well as observed differences in outcomes. An EBP blind spot emerges when fundamental assumptions are unmet. Based on findings of a 2018 PEDro evidence summary in BJSM 2 and elsewhere,3 it now seems clear that scientific research in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) resides in a blind spot.

ME/CFS—a multisystem condition
    ME/CFS is estimated to affect 836 000 to 2.5 million people in the USA.4 Ninety per cent of cases are thought to go undiagnosed,4 suggesting that people with ME/CFS are substantially undercounted, underdiagnosed and undertreated. Substantial literature exists to support that ME/CFS is a multisystem condition that appears associated with a combination of genetic, cellular and systemic metabolic deficits in …

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2018/07/17/bjsports-2018-099553

Behind paywall

Joh, ahimsa, Woolie and 22 others like this.
  2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a one-pager. Some good lines:

Mostly combating the idea of the Cohrane review being the final word, unless I miss my guess.

A final call for evidence based medicine also involving patient perspective.

If quoting to this limited degree is unacceptable, lmk mods, and I will remove.

3. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bravo! thank you Todd E Davenport, Staci R Stevens, J Mark VanNess, Jared Stevens, Christopher R Snell. You are true heroes.

JaimeS, Daisymay, Dolphin and 6 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

apologies for ignorant question is there some significance of this being an editorial?

ukxmrv, Daisymay and Trish like this.
  5. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

It’s an excellent short paper, my science writer friend George Lumison (who has himself written eloquently on PACE several times) just sent me the pdf though I don’t have permission to share. Thank you to the authors for articulating the blindspot in ME research so well and concisely.

Joh, adambeyoncelowe, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pleased to see this. We need academics and clinicians speaking out in their journals.

Hutan, mango, Milo and 4 others like this.
  7. Tijs

Tijs Established Member

8. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does not get enough credit even tho I see her name EVERYWHERE, so signal-boost.

Joh, Sean, Woolie and 9 others like this.
  11. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you and welcome to the forum!

Tijs likes this.
  12. Tijs

Tijs Established Member

Thanks for the welcome, @Skycloud !

Skycloud likes this.