Opinion Chronic fatigue syndromes: real illnesses that people can recover from, 2023, The Oslo Chronic Fatigue Consortium

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This dialogue should include a wider range of views,

Yes, we certainly don't want to continue the practice of the previous several decades where one view completely dominated the whole discussion and decision making process. That would indeed be an intolerable injustice. :whistle:

All they are proving is the most ancient of political truths that power never cedes willingly. It has to be taken. Fortunately we live in an era when, at least in this situation, it can be done by peaceful means. For that I am grateful, and so should they be.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    Ash, Tal_lula, Dolphin and 14 others like this.
  2. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They want to hear from patients who have recovered?

I recovered after a 3 year bout of mild/moderate M.E., by resting as necessary and not challenging my body until it apparently healed itself. I was well for 7 years and then had a nasty relapse and am in my 7th year of moderate/severe.

Do you think they want to hear from me? I don't hold with any of their nonsense so I suspect not!

Ash, livinglighter, Tal_lula and 22 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why is this nonsense being presented as scientific explanation? That's just a vague speculation. The references have barely anything to do with ME/CFS.

Ash, livinglighter, Tal_lula and 18 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The ‘Oslo Climate Consortium’ consists of influencers and businessmen who question the current narrative that climate changes, including worldwide forest fires, are incurable processes. Instead, we propose an alternative view, based on what Henrik's dad said (he knows because a Norwegian friend of his in Tromso says there is still tons of snow there), which offers more hope to people. Whilst we regard the symptoms of these conditions as real, we propose that they are more likely to reflect the brain's response to a range of biological, psychological, and social factors (like Facebook or government enquiries maybe), rather than a specific climate process.

Possible causes include persistent activation of the neurobiological stress response, accompanied by associated changes in immunological, hormonal, cognitive and behavioural domains. (But we're just bullshitting really.)

We further propose that the symptoms are more likely to persist if they are perceived as threatening, and all activities that are perceived to worsen them are avoided.

We also question the idea that the best way to cope with the illness is by reducing fossil fuel burning and cutting down trees. Instead, we propose that recovery is often possible if people are helped to adopt a less threatening understanding of their house burning down or being flooded and are supported in a gradual return to normal activities.

Finally, we call for a much more open and constructive dialogue about these conditions. This dialogue should include a wider range of views, including Henrik's dad's friend who still flies a private jet so has no hassle.

Ash, livinglighter, Tal_lula and 29 others like this.
  5. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I'm so sick of them turning associative learning on its head. In the beginning people don't expect to feel ill after any activity, we learn exertion causes us to crash. Not the other way around as they keep proposing.

This reminds me of posting an image of a very summery early spring day in Bergen; green grass, clear blue sky, brilliant sun... and having a family member in Tromsø reply with an image of the heap of snow outside their building that was three times as high as her :rofl:

Ash, Tal_lula, Dolphin and 20 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I loved the phrase 'based on research'. How can it not have occurred to people like Garner, Sharpe, Chalder, Floptop, that to academic community a phrase like this will sound pretty much like 'my dad said'.

7. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I think I've mentioned it on the forum before, but in my clinical training we have been taught to tell difficult patients our treatments are "evidence based" and then not discuss it any further.

Ash, livinglighter, Tal_lula and 18 others like this.
  8. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We engage in these practices for no reason, no reason at all. Just decided one morning, fuck it, I’m going to spend the rest of my life in my bedroom with the curtains closed.

Ash, livinglighter, Tal_lula and 30 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sure, I'm happy to hear about those who recovered, especially if there are statistically significantly more of them in the active treatment group of a clinical trial than in the control group, and recovery is clinically real and long lasting, not just filling in questionnaires differently.

Anyone else who recovered, I wish them well and envy their good fortune, but I'm not interested in what whacky stuff they were trying at the time of recovery, or what stories they tell themselves about how superior they are at controlling their minds and bodies.

I have read the article.

The 'sciency bit' reads to me like the description of what LP trainers tell their clients as part of softening them up to be brainwashed to pretend they have recovered. It's unsurprising that they conflate ME/CFS with burnout and every other cause of fatigue.

The rest of the article is patronising and insulting garbage wrapped in a nasty tone of superiority with a bit of hero-scientist victimhood thrown in.

Ash, Tal_lula, Dolphin and 21 others like this.
  11. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They write (my bolding):

"As a Consortium of researchers, academics, and clinicians interested in the causes and treatments of fatigue and fatigue related conditions, as well as representatives of patients who have suffered from these illnesses themselves, we propose that a different narrative also needs to be heard."
    It is not so clear who of the authors is a representative of ME/CFS patients. Do they mean Henrik Vogt?

Ash, livinglighter, Dolphin and 8 others like this.
  12. ME/CFS Skeptic

They also write:

"By contrast, the approach often recommended by the public narrative of inactivity, isolation, and sensory deprivation, risks worsening symptoms and associated disability."
    I wonder who they think is recommending isolation and sensory deprivation. These are not viewed as coping mechanism (a choice) but something that the illness forces onto patients.

13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

no mention of harms?

conclusive evidence of recovery without fiddling the results?

talk about echo chamber. Do they ever listen to patients, or read other research, reviews,reports other than their own? (looking at the citations, nah).

14. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Vogt suffered from tinnitus, and I think he thinks that's relevant because he regards both tinnitus and ME as under the same umbrella. LP coach Live Landmark was diagnosed with ME but says in her talk about LP that the method gave her a choice of either having an incurable disease or a stress related condition she could do something about.

ETA: Vogt is no longer leader of Recovery Norge, but I guess he can still claim he represents the members?

Ash, Tal_lula, Dolphin and 9 others like this.
  15. ME/CFS Skeptic

These statements are also quite remarkable:

"Persistent fatigue also occurs in many other illnesses [7,10–12] and is therefore unlikely to indicate a distinct illness with specific pathology."

"The experience of pain, for example, can arise from expectations based on prior experience, without any neuronal input from peripheral sense organs and influenced by the interplay of biological, psychological, and social factors."

"Those who have improved or recovered through cognitive, behavioural, and stress-reducing strategies can offer special insight into both the experience of illness and the ways out of it. Unfortunately, their personal stories are rarely promoted or represented by advocacy groups as they do not match the ‘incurable physical disease’ narrative."

"We call for change. Specifically, we propose that doctors and health professionals should feel free to discuss and express different understandings of these illnesses. They should also be free to recommend any evidence-based treatments that offer a realistic hope of improvement and even recovery"
    I don't quite understand the latter: aren't they free to recommend evidence-based treatments?

16. ME/CFS Skeptic

Thanks. But it seems that the conference does not include anyone who currently has ME/CFS or who is a representative of a ME/CFS patient organisation?

17. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thing of beauty Jonathan - thanks! It really deserves a wider audience.
    "The ‘Oslo Climate Consortium’ consists of influencers---

18. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I assume also Garner is included as a representative of patients. But other than Vogt being a member of Recovery Norge, then no, you are right, no current ME/CFS sufferers or patient organisations included.

Ash, Tal_lula, Dolphin and 10 others like this.
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'd guess Paul Garner and Live Landmark. Possibly others. All are listed as clinical or university affiliated.

Ash, Tal_lula, Dolphin and 6 others like this.
  20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, Dolphin, Peter Trewhitt and 7 others like this.