Clinical psychologist Grete Lilledalen about ME and CBT/GET.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Grigor, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"On the trail of a less inflamed ME debate."

Clinical psychogist Grete Lilledalen about ME and CBT/GET. Well worth the read and share!

"We must stop attributing illness and the absence of improvement to the patient's personality."

"Instead of building the stigma of "treatment resistance" and "victim blaming" one should look at whether treatment options can be improved and changed."

English: https://bit.ly/2Yax8uD

Norwegian: https://psykologtidsskriftet.no/debatt/2020/03/pa-sporet-av-en-mindre-betent-me-debatt

The link to the piece by psychologist Charlotte Ryhl is not working but it can be found here:

"Psychologists also have a responsibility for children and adolescents with ME."

English: https://t.co/0mRkMTJgKl

Danish: https://t.co/sdVsCxL4CD

Excellent as well!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    MEMarge, bobbler, inox and 42 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A real breath of fresh air. A psychologist with her finger on the pulse. I wonder if @Brian Hughes may be interested in this. Also perhaps @PhysiosforME.

Interesting that Grete Lilledalen describes herself as a psychologist who is also a relative of an ME patient. The greatest insights for people without ME (and I speak for myself here as much as anyone) typically come from having real day to day understanding of a pwME. There is something crucial in that day to day understanding that scientific studies are very poor to glean, yet for ME is especially important.

3. Barry

In the second article I'm guessing something may have got lost in translation here ...
    Given the rest of the article, did Charlotte Ryhl really say these children lack motivation? At least in the context it sounds like here? I'm guessing the sentence might need better translation?

4. Grigor

I would say so. Considering the rest of the piece. Hopefully someone here can clear it up for us!

5. Legend

Legend Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, translate-error.

The original text actually say:
    "They DON'T lack the motivation, but physical energy and....."

As the motivation is good/not the problem :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  6. Barry

That is exactly what I suspected.

7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That would require ending psychosomatics as it has existed for decades. As long as psychosomatics continues to be treated as a serious topic, this can't happen. The only reason this happens is because of the "default" reflex and general beliefs in magical psychology on which psychosomatics operates.

I am 100% in favor of this. The whole thing is anachronistic nonsense that belongs right along ghosts and demons. It has caused nothing but harm, regress and suffering. I have personally been ruined by it, against my explicit rejection of this nonsense, which is deemed irrelevant because psychosomatics has deprived me of my agency, of my ability to testify to my life experience, a dehumanizing and cruel practice that serves no purpose other than propping up this wretched antiscience nonsense.

All it would take is to require any psychosomatic model to show objective evidence before it is treated as having legitimate medical significance and stop the way the field is exempted from the normal requirements of the scientific method and ethical requirements, the least of which is consent. Medicine without consent leads to disaster. Psychosomatics cannot exist alongside the consent of patients. It also cannot show any evidence of anything. None of those exemptions are justifiable and they are the reasons why psychosomatics is a death machine that creates suffering in exchange for mediocre careers while propping up the alternative medicine industry.

This will inevitably happen with time. Might as well be on the right side of history, turn the whole thing upside down and work on the actual biopsychosocial consequences of illness, rather than its causes. Now that will help people. Finally

bobbler, Arnie Pye, Legend and 17 others like this.
  9. Grigor

MEMarge, bobbler, Legend and 6 others like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

11. Hutan

12. Hutan

Midnattsol and Peter Trewhitt like this.