Cognitive impairment and fatigue medications: Methylphenidate (Ritalin), Modafinil, Armodafinil, amantadine

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by MountainRose, Jan 29, 2024.

1. MountainRose

MountainRose Established Member

I recently discovered this resources list in the Bateman Horne Center resources website.

https://batemanhornecenter.org/education/me-cfs/

Have any of you tried any of the following? What was your experience?

Cognitive impairment and fatigue medications:

Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
    Modafinil
    Armodafinil
    amantadine

I guess I was intrigued to find something I hadn't tried yet.

MEMarge and Ash like this.
  2. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not Ritalin but dexamphetamine. I copied most of this from a post from 2020 -
    A Trial of Solriamfetol in the Treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Joel L Young, 2020

... my experience with 5 mg of dexamphetamine (family member's ADD medication) taken quite often over ten years or so. The alternative medicine doctor I was seeing in the 1990s would have been happy to prescribe it too.

I was able to think fast and get long periods of physically demanding outdoor work done with no effort, but of course paid for it afterwards for days. Another downside was that I ignored joint and muscle pain and ended up with injuries.

The last time I took it the immediate effect was the exact opposite: severe lack of energy and spaced-out feeling. That really frightened me off it for good.

alktipping, MEMarge, Ash and 3 others like this.
  3. MountainRose

MountainRose Established Member

Thanks @oldtimer !

I was wondering if stimulants would ultimately be a bad idea. I get revved up and do too much then crash if I even have a cup of coffee.

I do wonder if a little finesse with the right dose might be helpful for times when I truly have to do something... although it might not be any different than caffeine if I just crash in the end.

alktipping, MEMarge, Ash and 3 others like this.
  4. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was prescribed Modafinil and took it every day for quite a long time (can’t remember exactly but at least a year).
    It was great and seemed like a miracle. I didn’t have to keep sleeping and the brain fog went away.

But then the side effects took hold - heart palpitations, diarrhoea, sweats. Basically what you would expect if you were taking speed.

I hadn’t really thought about it at the time as I wasn’t as knowledgable about how ME works, but you are forcing your body into overdrive the whole time so it is making your condition worse .

In the end I stopped and it was a huge come down but the right thing for my body.

however I did still take small doses if I had to do something where I needed or wanted to stay alert, such as if I had to drive anywhere further than I normally would, or if I wanted to meet someone for coffee and have a nice chat. In these instances I was happy to take the short term hit.

alktipping, Ash, Trish and 3 others like this.