1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

COMET initiative: Core Outcome Set for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) a long-term, complex, debilitating disorder associated with poor health-related quality of life and declined functional status for individuals and a significant economic burden on society. CFS/ME is defined by symptoms and patient’s constraints on daily living is influenced directly by symptoms.

We will develop a core outcome set for CFS/ME following recommendations for developing core outcome set (COS) from COMET (Core Outcome Measures in Effectiveness Trials), COSMIN (COnsensus-based Standards for the selection of health Measurement INstruments), and OMERACT (Outcome Measures in Rheumatology). We will conduct two scoping reviews of qualitative research and interventional studies. To select the most important outcome measures for CFS/ME, after the evidence synthesis, we will use the Delphi process involving patient partners and clinicians in this area and a modified Nominal Group Technique to achieve consensus. The COS for CFS/ME will inform outcomes that are measured and reported in future studies in this area, including systematic reviews, clinical trials, and clinical practice guidelines.

Contributors
    Dena Zeraatkar and Jason Busse from McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada

Further Study Information
    Current Stage: Ongoing
    Date: August 2022 - December 2022
    Funding source(s): None

https://www.comet-initiative.org/Studies/Details/2103

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

lycaena, Milo, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is exactly the wrong way to go about it.

I am hoping that we might be able to do something better but we will need some input from intelligent ME clinicians.

sebaaa, Missense, Milo and 12 others like this.
  4. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do like their age inclusivity: "Age Range: 18 - 120" !!

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sean, alktipping, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The name COMET sounds appropriate. Do we expect it to suffer from stress related fatigue, and fall apart.

7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. Busse’s clinical interests include insurance medicine, orthopedic trauma, chronic pain and other medically unexplained syndromes, and management of complex disability. Dr. Busse is also interested in methodological research including expertise-based randomization and the use of composite endpoints in clinical trials.

I'm very cautious about non medical persons investigating 'unexplained syndromes' and management of "complex disability'.

EzzieD, alktipping, Ariel and 5 others like this.
  9. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Busse’s training appears to be as a chiropractor unless I’m missing something?

Sean, Hutan, Ariel and 4 others like this.
  10. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My education lets me down but reading this made me chuckle "Delphi process" ---- does that involve visiting some "mystic" who says some profound things --- which you are required to believe have meaning i.e. even if you don't understand them at the time?

Could you skip a couple of thousand years and check activity levels pre/post intervention (FitBit etc.), check whether school attendance has improved, hours worked increased ----. OK the Delphi bit is presumably how you scam people into believing sham treatments work - so best not to remove that!

Sid, alktipping, ukxmrv and 4 others like this.
  11. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bit strange that the authors have never published on ME/CFS before but now want to develop a "Core Outcome Set."

I get the impression that the main goal is to lower the standards for what counts as quality evidence:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1575195262196367366

lycaena, sebaaa, Michelle and 12 others like this.
  12. ME/CFS Skeptic

The authors of the MetaBlind study had a more cautious interpretation of their findings than Busse. They wrote:

"We are unclear to what extent our results show that blinding is less important than previously believed, show the limitations of the meta-epidemiological approach (eg, residual confounding), or show a lack of precision in the comparisons made."​

sebaaa, petrichor, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  13. ME/CFS Skeptic

Michelle, alktipping, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  14. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yea and why publish crap when you could easily include objective outcome indicators like FitBit, hours worked, attendance at school/education --- OK those are inconvenient i.e. since they show your intervention doesn't work.

EzzieD, alktipping, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Honestly it's hard to miss the pattern that people who work explicitly in research methodology and trials, basically in EBM, seem to be the worst when it comes to research quality. There's this guy, then of course Paul Garner, whose "expertise" is clinical knowledge (imagine that) and Wessely who has clearly designed a model of experiment that basically serves to launder opinions. And of course all of Cochrane, which seems to have perfected the art of lying to themselves.

Seriously some of the worst commentary I have seen out there, things like "if you can't blind, well, that's it just keep going no need to consider anything" and incredibly tortuous circular logic from people proudly espousing EBM labels on their bios. People who will go back and forth criticizing features of a study while they excuse the same of others, all clearly depending on their preferences and biases.

It seems that the expertise that has been developed is not one where research produces quality output, rather ways to basically meet your expectations regardless of what they are studying.

If there are spin doctors, these people are the spin lab researchers, they produce the disinformation that is used to spin pseudoscience.

16. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Their methods seem to consist of asking people what they prefer. I would have thought the starting point for outcome measures would be a systematic evaluation of the basic properties (such as do they have sufficiently good properties to measure change, if they are questionnaires do the questions capture what is intended when used on a given population). We know that favourite outcome measures in many CFS trials fail on basic properties - yet they are popular and could come out of such a process being selected.

17. Jonathan Edwards

I don't think there are any coincidences here.
    I see wagons circling.

sebaaa, MSEsperanza, Amw66 and 8 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Delphis is what it say son the tin - ask the oracles and believe them.

MSEsperanza, CRG, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  19. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

... but didn't you only get to hear from the "Priest", who interpreted on behalf of the oracle.

That sounds about right.

20. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can someone explain what a "core outcome set" would look like? Are they trying to decide which metrics are most important to measure? Would it be like, thru this process we've found that the best measures of this illness are: the fatigue scale, and employment status? I mean, what is the end product supposed to be exactly?