1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Conference: Medically Unexplained Symptoms / Somatic Symptom Disorder Improving the Primary Care Response -Bristol, UK, July 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by fossil, Mar 29, 2019.

1. fossil

fossil Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(Sorry if this has already been posted.)

A MUS conference;

Medically Unexplained Symptoms / Somatic Symptom Disorder Improving the Primary Care Response

Wednesday 3 July 2019
    The Novotel Conference Centre, Bristol

"Improve your understanding of the breadth and diversity of PPS and MUS including what gets under the skin of GPs and what can help enhance confidence in practice as well as reduce the need to always ‘act’ (prescribe, intervene, investigate…)

Learn about the impact of adverse experience in childhood (trauma +) on patient experience, body-mind health and outcomes in adult life."

https://www.healthcareconferencesuk.co.uk/medically-unexplained-symptoms

Annamaria, JaneL, Barry and 8 others like this.
  2. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“Almost one half of Primary Care Patients have at least one medically unexplained symptom that does not respond to standard care. This leads to unnecessary investigation, referrals, health costs, medications as well as frustration in patients and health professionals alike. The great majority of these patients have psychophysiological disorders.”
    Dr. Allan Abbass, MD, FRCPC MUS Expert , Dalhousie University’s Director of Education."

This is at Bristol with several speakers not yet named...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Annamaria, MEMarge, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  3. fossil

Oh dear. Abbass is involved with Schubiner, who is mentioned in this thread;

https://www.s4me.info/threads/this-...ted-with-mind-body-medicine.8087/#post-142985

MEMarge, rvallee, Sly Saint and 3 others like this.
  4. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope somebody can go to this to witness and record / take pics to put on social media so we can expose the errors and harm.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will they have an astrology booth or is it still too early to stop pretending this has anything to do with science or objective reality?

EzzieD, Arnie Pye, Lidia and 8 others like this.
  6. AR68

AR68 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I trust that if someone *does* do this they will not publicise this in advance.

It is of public interest so I think it's very much fair game but these people are intent on getting their own way, much to the detriment of sick people.

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do doctors ever think to themselves, "Hang on... Always blaming the patient because I can't diagnose their problem is rather arrogant, isn't it? And suggests that perhaps I don't know everything there is to know about medicine after all?"

rvallee, EzzieD, Mithriel and 4 others like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

If you are having to work so hard at selling the diagnosis and treatment, then you probably don't have anything to sell.

The one possibility they cannot face up to.

rvallee, MEMarge, Mithriel and 2 others like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is Joan Crawford a member here? Might be of interest to her

10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Arnie Pye and Trish like this.
  11. fossil

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Sly Saint likes this.
  12. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought that "what gets under the skin of GPs" was the patients that they diagnose with MUS.

MEMarge likes this.
  13. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure there have been threads with Mark Edwards papers discussed previously?

14. fossil

15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

These companies that run conferences seem to use this model to operate in IT, public sector training and management initiatives etc. It’s not a scientific conference is it more of a marketing opportunity for companies to have stands and the presentations are the hook to draw people in. Presumably in this case people will be marketing their CBT widget services or judging by one of the sponsors their music therapy services.

If it’s like public sector management generally these things tend to go on whatever the latest buzz words are so presumably they have realised MUS is currently a money spinner.

TiredSam, Sean, MEMarge and 4 others like this.