Confirmation of COVID-19 infection status & reporting of [LC] symptoms in a population-based birth cohort: No evidence of a nocebo effect, 2024

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jan 25, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Confirmation of COVID-19 infection status and reporting of Long COVID symptoms in a population-based birth cohort: No evidence of a nocebo effect
    Catherine IA Macleod-Hall; Marcus R Munafò; Maddy L Dyer

Some patients with COVID-19 develop symptoms after the acute infection, known as ‘Long COVID’. We examined whether or not confirmation of COVID-19 infection status could act as a nocebo, using data from questionnaires distributed to the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children cohort. We examined associations between confirmation of COVID-19 infection status (confirmed by a positive test vs unconfirmed) and reporting of Long COVID symptoms. We explored the roles of sex and anxiety as potential moderators.

There was no clear evidence of a strong association between confirmation of COVID-19 infection status and the Long COVID composite score, physical or psychological symptoms or duration of symptoms. There was no clear evidence of moderation by sex or anxiety. We therefore found no evidence of a nocebo effect.

Our data suggest that this psychological mechanism does not play a role in the medical symptomatology experienced by patients with Long COVID.

Link | Paywall (Journal of Health Psychology)

RedFox, Hutan, Ash and 3 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

I'm leaving references in some of the quotes.

3. SNT Gatchaman

Hutan, oldtimer, Ash and 4 others like this.
  4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting that this is coming from Univ of Bristol--home of the methologically and ethically challenged Professor Crawley. I wonder what she thinks of this study??

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hum, not quite. Claims. Baseless assertions. Used to support entire treatment models and derived services. It has gone way, way beyond concerns, it has been operationalized for decades based on nothing but 19th century vibes.

It started with beliefs, not really concerns, but it has snowballed since then and launched avalanches that consumed enough people to make a mid-sized nation.

Although a problem remains here that you can't prove a negative. But the belief in nocebo has never been proven, and yet it is fully belief to the degree where they let people die for those beliefs. The real issue is baseless beliefs having been turned into real-life decisions, without evidence, in fact against all evidence.

Sean, Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Isn't that an odd definition? Surely 'the induction or worsening of symptoms induced by ...an active therapy' is the production of side effects. Some of those side effects may well be entirely real and explicable.

I think this idea that nocebo effects are more common in women is probably rubbish. I'm not sure about the logic in that last quote. They seem to be saying that the fact that being a woman didn't moderate the associations was evidence that there was no nocebo effect. That seems pretty circular.

While it's great that the authors concluded that
    I'm not sure about their basis for doing that.
    Other authors have concluded that Long Covid is psychosomatic for the same reason as these authors conclude that Long Covid isn't psychosomatic. That is, that Long Covid is occurring in people who don't have confirmed Covid-19 infections.

I think the problems with access to and accuracy of diagnostic testing makes studies attempting to conclude anything about psychosomaticism as the cause of Long Covid on the basis of reported Covid-19 infection status pretty worthless.