Conversion Disorder — Mind versus Body: A Review, 2015, Ali et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by livinglighter, Oct 15, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This is a 2015 paper. I think there has been some evolution on the thinking about whether a history of emotional trauma is necessary, or even if psychological conflict and repression of feelings is necessary. I think that evolution was necessary because studies just did not support those criteria in all of the people with functional disorder [add your favourite synonym] labels.

As to where that then leaves the functional disorder concept now, well, of course it's a mess. Basically it's the catch all for when doctors can't justify another label.

2. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Despite this evolution, in many cases, the explanation for FND tends to be difficulty coping with emotions. Perhaps there is a move away from overreliance on past events as triggers to include what could be perceived as current ones, such as someone not being able to cope with the loss of a highly-regarded profession if they become employed doing something less skilled - which I read someone was accused of. But to me, it seems, that explanations for FND still mainly have undertones of ideas surrounding repressed feelings and unconscious thoughts.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    Trish, duncan, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Oh, for sure, they have their cake, eat it too, and still manage to package it up and present it as a health food that's a gift to mankind...

It can be both life's stoics who can't complain even to themselves who are most at risk while at the same time it's the attention-seeker who is making a big deal about normal sensations that everyone experiences. It's people who are resilient and get on with things while lacking in self-efficacy. People who pay too much attention to their body while lacking in interoception. The contradictions are as frequent as the inane diagrams.

rvallee, shak8, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

FND is just whatever its advocates want it to be at any given moment.

Nothing more, nothing less.