Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/wires...9-epidemic-pushed-concerted-approach-WHO.html

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03...n-of-coronavirus-risk-by-demographic-factors/

MeSci, Samuel, Webdog and 7 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51771116

MeSci, shak8, Legend and 4 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do people not usually wash their hands?:giggle::yuck:

IM popped to the shops this morning for some milk. He also decided to see if there were any little bottles of hand sanitizer (with 70% alcohol) to carry when out and about. We only need one small bottle really. Normal handwashing with soap and water will do us at home and his workplace have installed sanitizer dispensers all over the place.

Still no alcohol sanitizer to be found. I can understand that but...... he noticed that all the handwash in all the shops he visited had sold out as well? I understand people being a bit more vigilant and washing their hands a bit more, but this sudden massive demand suggests they are hoarding to a ridiculous degree or sales are normally much lower because they don't wash their hands.

ladycatlover, Sarah94, JaneL and 6 others like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I rarely wash my hands.

I only do it whenever I wash something up, prepare food, after eating, or use the bathroom - so probably only about 20 times a day.

I certainly don't do it whenever I enter or leave a room or whenever I touch something that has a 'surface'.

e.g. I received 2 letters today, not only did I not wash the letters before opening I also didn't wash them once I'd opened them - I did wash my hands shortly after but that's co-incidence (I made breakfast).

MeSci, ladycatlover, JaneL and 7 others like this.
  6. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EDITED - I deleted the link to a recipe for home made hand sanitizer.

I do believe it had the right proportions to get the right concentration of isopropyl alcohol. It definitely wasn't one of those debunked vodka recipes.

However, I've read a few articles online that say it's really best not to rely on these home recipes. So, just to be extra cautious, I've edited this post to delete the information.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    MeSci, ladycatlover, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I’ve got tea tree wet wipes as they’re easy to carry round also they haven’t sold out. I’m going to a football match tomorrow do you think I’m daft?

8. Vertical

Vertical Established Member

A virus spread from animals to humans is termed zoontropic; what is the opposite, i.e. humans spreading it to animals? What a terrible condition
    we’ll have if both are true of coronavirus! @Hip Are you aware of any hits on this? (BTW, greetings from PRF, other moniker - note location,-)

JaneL, ladycatlover and Amw66 like this.
  9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's so very hard to know.....

You enjoy the football so much it seems a shame to miss it. The vast majority of people don't have corona virus.

On the other hand close proximity to lots of other people. Lots of shouting and cheering so presumably a bit more chance to inhale other people's breath?

If this is going to be ongoing, and it rather looks that it will, how long will you be prepared to miss out on matches?

It might also be that if the virus spreads local fixtures might be cancelled, so there won't be any matches to go to. Shame to miss out to miss on this one then.

In short - I dunno. :unsure:

JaneL, ladycatlover and NelliePledge like this.
  10. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Zoonotic I think is the word you mean.

My Google-fu must be strong today, as I managed to find the opposite term: anthroponotic.

11. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you can't get sanitizers anymore what according to my pharmacist also works are these alcohol pads being used to clean your skin before an injection.

They are soaked in 70% isopropyl alcohol and at least in the pharmacies I've been still available. I always need them for b12 injections anyway.

The WHO gave out a recipe for the pharmacies to mix their own sanitizers but the problem here seems to be they themselves can't get the alcohol anywhere.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  12. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This article, written by Dr. Anthony Fauci et al. and published just seven days ago (2/28/20) in the New England Journal of Medicine says:
    So if you develop pneumonia the fatality rate is 2%.

The authors go on to say:
    I don't know exactly how current this info is. It was published in the NEJM just seven days ago, but there may have been some delay between submission and publication.

I know the WHO suggested a higher mortality rate of 3.4% on Tuesday, March 3rd, as reported in the New York Times yesterday [below], but the NYT article says that figure is "loaded with caveats."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    MeSci, JaneL, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hand sanitisers seem to be sold out but I had no trouble picking up 2 litres of methylated spirit.

The traditional kill all steriliser in the lab was ethanol. I guess it is not widely sold because people drink it. I am keeping a J cloth in a big yogurt pot steeped in meths and wiping down gloves (rubber) and phone etc. when getting home as well as washing my hands. Meths is good for surfaces too. It also smells nicer than it used to.

Yessica, MeSci, Hipsman and 13 others like this.
  14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @Invisible Woman theres a meeting on Monday between the Football leagues and the government about what to do as it becomes more widespread. Possibly they will have games played in empty stadiums as is happening in Italy. So it might not be my decision after tomorrow. The next afternoon home game for my team after tomorrow is in 4 weeks time so I reckon there’s a strong chance we won’t be allowed to attend.

Where I sit there are some empty seats so we aren’t squashed up together it isn’t any different to going on public transport although better because open air.

15. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe the WHO is stressing the mortality of 3.4% because they want this number to be printed everywhre and everyone to take it more seriously.

They haven't addressed anyone specific but have criticized that not all governments are taking the necessary steps. From what I understand that's the reason why they don't want to call it a pandemic, because they fear that then everybody thinks it's out of control anyway and people surrender/give up on containment.

JaneL, ladycatlover, Trish and 5 others like this.
  16. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You just gave me a shudder, remembering the smell when the assistants in Woolworths wiped down the glass counters with meths, which were at face level for kids! I don't think I've had a whiff of it since the 1960s.

Loved the smell of surgical spirit, though, which we were doused in when our mother was trying to remove the stubborn black residue left by old-school sticking plasters. I guess that would make a reasonable surface cleaner too, if anyone needed one?

17. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fauci discussed this on CNN last night. Basically saying the 3.4% is strictly just a pure calculation: deaths/known cases. Clearly, the true denominator should be larger, as there are many undiagnosed cases of COVID-19. So the actual death rate is considerably lower than the purely calculated one.

But this 3.4% is something everyone can agree on. It's just a calculation.

Fauci went on to say that determining the true (larger) denominator and actual (lower) death rate requires using models. Models give a range rather than a number, but I didn't hear him say what that range was.

MeSci, JaneL, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  18. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

just FYI about the hand sanitiser. They are still selling isopropyl alcohol on amazon £14 a 500ml bottle though.

MeSci, JaneL, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  19. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A reminder of my youth.

In days before computers drew everything , a prerequisite before you drew up your yearly " final.project" with T - square and ink was a trip to Boots for meths ( to clean your board, T Square and adjustable set square), and a packet of razor blades for scraping ink off any mistakes
    You had to sign for meths.

You can imagine the looks from the counter staff....

JaneL, ladycatlover, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  20. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How long do you think it's effectiveness remains? - what I mean is can you wipe stuff, put it back in it's pot & use it again later? or does it need to be a freshly steeped cloth every time?
    And would that be the same for 70% isopropyl alcohol?

MeSci, JaneL, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.