Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree i.e. it's difficult to understand the UK Governments position/policy.

I haven't supported the petition; they charge you to support it.

I was thinking of a small donation to the WHO fund, better to donate to that.

2. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, I didn’t pay to support it? You just have to sign it.

The paying to support spread the word is another optional thing.

FMMM1 likes this.
  3. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From the BBC's live update page, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51921683 at time stamp 16:29.

ProudActivist, JaneL, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  5. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another issue with postponing school closures - I have been told of people being denied the opportunity to work from home, even where this is practical and possible. Their employer has said they will only allow this once the government close schools (and this is in London)!

JaneL, JemPD and Invisible Woman like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Judging by what we have had the mediate is not true. Several positive cases have claimed to feel fine - on the Diamond Princess, in a ski chalet, a famous film star... That is enough to be a scientific refutation of Vallance's statement.

7. Jonathan Edwards

A bit like Montgomery saying that no guns is 'a case for those soldiers'?

JaneL, Simbindi, lunarainbows and 3 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Where do you get that figure from? The Chinese seem to have nearly achieved clearance in a month. Their continuing problem is international travel.

9. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are now quarantining everyone entering Wuhan for 14 days.

When the EU realises what we've done, they'll be quarantining us as a country for 18 months.

Daisymay, ladycatlover, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  10. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As per the summary :

Because I'm pretty sure the very serious downsides to this option are being underplayed when criticising the alternative approach originally taken by the UK.

Perhaps it would be better to acknowledge that governments are likely to be trying to do what they believe is for the best in reponse to a complex and changing challenge and that there are no good outcomes.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2020
    Sid and Mithriel like this.
  11. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Jonathan Edwards

I think it may end up being even simpler than that.
    As De Gaulle liked to say - Non!
    Or Donald Trump - You're fired.

JaneL, Lucibee, FMMM1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Marco

I assumed that using draconian measures would reduce the incidence of new infections over time and in combination with testing you might reach a stage where no new infections are being recorded in the general population at which stage you light think of relaxing the lockdown - but you would need to be pretty sure that's the case before lifting the measures otherwise you're back to square 1.

That's the internal issue. As you say international travel will remain an issue as long as other countries worldwide have yet to reach the same success internally in achieving clearance - hence external borders need to stay sealed and few are 100% secure.

Consequently there's a reasonable likelihood that restrictions can't be fully lifted until a vaccine is available and that's been estimated at 18 months.

That seems pretty consistent with the conclusions from Imperial College.

Re China I hope you're right - official figures from China can be open to interpretation.

Then there's the issue of compliance in the west. China's workforce return comes with restrictions :

https://www.ft.com/content/0ddfa420-9489-4575-8b0e-2d2af6797004

TrixieStix likes this.
  14. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Vallance is getting more pointed questions during todays press conference.
    He continues to dodge them.

15. Jonathan Edwards

given that we predict that transmission will quickly rebound if interventions are relaxed.

I don't see any evidence for this, other than some historic studies of very doubtful relevance. It is a bit like saying that if you win a war another one is bound to start up.

Science is based on scepticism all the time. When people come up with as incompetent an analysis as the UK people have it needs calling out. And the irony is that letting things rip (a bit) is going to be far far worse for the economy. We could have withstood a period of a few months lock down - and we may still. But four to ten years of dribbling people through intensive care would have finished off all commerce for ever even if they got their guesses exactly right.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2020
    JaneL, Michelle, lunarainbows and 4 others like this.
  16. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, if you can believe it, the ice cream van has started coming around today - I imagine they want to take advantage of people being at home & 'keep spirits up' - which is great.... there was a crowd round the van all smiling & laughing - community spirit - marvellous.... except they were standing about 6inches away from each other - adults and kids.

And I watched as the lady in the van, took each person's money & then picked up the next cone... no hand washing, no gel, no nothing, just merrily touching everything without a care in the world......
    and there they all were merrily watching her doing it, spreading it all around, leaning on the cupboards, counting out the money, picking up the chocolate flakes & the wafers, & scattering the sprinkled & chopped nuts between her fingers.

:jawdrop:

I haven't eaten a cone from a van in years because they take the money & then touch what you're going to be eating... but now, NOW, they're going to keep doing that?!!!! It's no good pointing it out to the, or to the customers.... i'm afraid the people who live on my avenue would not take at all kindly to that I don't want any anti-Jem sentiment building up, in case things get very ugly later... But I was acutely aware that they were all standing in a queue right outside my door (which is where the van stops), & I looked anxiously up at the air vents in my wall.

I think i'm going to put paper over the vents if they're going to do that every afternoon

People don't seem to have any notion of how desperately serious things are. I know it might be their livelihood & today was a sunny day, but you could at least recommend people keep their distance, and do what you can to keep your hands clean!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  17. Marco

I suggest that everyone reads the Imperial College report in full and maybe then there will be a better appreciation that the arguments pro and con any particular strategy were and are finely balanced and subject to change as the available data changes :

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

PS - Having read the full report I apologise to @Andy that 'herd immunity' is/was inherently part of the UK govt's immediate strategy but if you read the above report you see why.

MEMarge likes this.
  18. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Idris Elba has tested positive for covid-19. Here's his latest updates on how he's feeling (currently asymptomatic), why he got tested, his thoughts on some of the disinformation that is currently being spread on social media ("black people can't get covid-19") etc.

I think he's doing a great job getting really important info out there, hopefully reaching lots of people who maybe haven't realised the seriousness of the situation yet.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1239995118154702848

https://twitter.com/user/status/1239997526268207105

Anna H, MEMarge, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.