Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There this infographic from JAMA regarding age etc but not comorbidities.

Attached Files:

MeSci, AliceLily, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a little real life illustration:

My daughter has caught ‘something’, and is in day 3 social isolation in her student flat. 7 other people live there. Of course she hasn’t been tested.

So far it seems like a mild cold with predominately nasal symptoms and what may have been a low temperature of on the first morning. She’s using an ear thermometer which I don’t entirely trust.

Today she has developed a hoarse voice and a bit of a cough which she says is producing a little phlegm. She’s asthmatic, and still slightly symptomatic from a cold last month. Let’s hope it’s that!

So what is going on? All we can do is wait and see. It’s stressful!

Testing and isolation period recommendations are inadequate. She was advised to isolate for 7 days as per NHS111 advice. The fact she is isolating at all is due to us being more cautious than official UK advice re her symptoms, which I find alarming. We’re discussing extending beyond the NHS guidelines now that she is coping better with her anxiety.

Fortunately she has a kettle, a stash of easy food and her own bathroom and is not leaving her room. Her boyfriend collected her prescription meds and a bit more shopping for her.

Her flat mates are going here there and everywhere, not isolating for 14 days as per the UK advice. Most intend leaving for family homes this week ( including the first year medical and dental students). Most of them aren’t following the advice to self isolate.

Last night one of the flat mates (in spite of everyone else’s protests) had a little party in the flat until one in the morning.

Similar scenarios will be being played out across campuses in the UK, as many students are still on campus.

There’s so much wrong with this scenario.

I can’t say what I really think as I would probably be moderated.

MarcNotMark, Simon M, MeSci and 14 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree we do not have evidence, so do not know, but I still think we can be 99% sure on the basis of what we know of how viral infection and recovery works. The only real exception I am aware of is the norovirus group which infects gut mucosa and gut immunity is importantly different from other domains.

AliceLily, JaneL, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

That seems a pretty reasonable set of arguments. I thought Ioannidis was woolly and ill-informed.

Sarah, Michelle and Simbindi like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

The NHS is already overwhelmed. I hope it gets back in control but I think there is a real chance that medical professionals will be so pissed off and frightened that they will walk out, as the teachers did this week in very large numbers. There was no communal decision to down tools. People just decided for themselves. The 'behavioural' advisors seem to have got this very wrong.

I also think the figures from Italy may suggest that once you get above a certain rate of spreading the illness becomes much more dangerous. It may be worth remembering that the real problem with plague is that when transmission rates get high it converts from bubonic to pneumonic form and becomes far more dangerous.

But again, the good news is that with proper isolation the situation remains reversible tomorrow if people take it seriously.

Hipsman, Simon M, MeSci and 12 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

I interpreted this as indicating that numbers were rising in new areas where lockdown was not yet being teen seriously. From what I had heard the regions that have been in lock down for a while have greatly reduced cases. But this may be wrong.

7. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought he did make a good point that we don't know the CFR or actual spread of the virus. Someone should really test a representative sample of the general population.

It could be that a lot more people have the virus but don't end up having significant symptoms and so don't get picked up. That's crucial to know what the consequences are if the virus were to spread to, say, 60% of the general population. I assume that's the question everyone wants answered.

He does write: "We don’t know if we are failing to capture infections by a factor of three or 300." Hmmm..., I think we do know we're not off by a factor of 300 and that the virus isn't as banal as he sketches it to be. Hospitals in Lombardy wouldn't be flooded with patients if it was. This doesn't happen with the flu. I would suggest watching the news once in a while instead of only looking at data in scientific publications.

Simon M, JaneL, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  8. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That could well be the case. I didn't check localised numbers, not even sure if this is available.
    It's hard to remember what happened when but Italy has only been in lockdown since 9th Mar.

Simon M and lunarainbows like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That has been done in Austria and the data is probably already out of date but showed 1% had the virus.

ladycatlover and Simon M like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Richard Horton writing in the Guardian, https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/18/coronavirus-uk-expert-advice-wrong

12. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They were talking specifically about what is known about coronaviruses, and the suggestion was that immunity wanes after about a month. Given that there is also recent evidence that SARS-nCoV2 clobbers memory T cells, that would sort of make sense.

13. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps even? These government experts have been praising Johnson for 'following the science' for the last two weeks. If the UK's policies were unsually bad it was because we've promoted unusually rubbish people to be government experts.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Maybe, just maybe, this time the powers that be will understand what a sham and danger to us all the current generation of behavioural advisors and the current state of their 'science' really are.

*sticks hand up*

Maybe, just maybe, dear Richard, it happened in no small part because for decades people just like you, in positions of serious power, recklessly over promoted and protected from proper scrutiny the very behaviouralists now giving dodgy advice to the government?

16. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invisible Woman and Hoopoe like this.
  17. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just been looking at the cases by age range and I wonder what the worlds population is by these age ranges and does it make any difference to the percentages. How many are over 50 and how many of the worlds population falls in to the 20-50 age range and then the 0-19 age range.

'If' the world has a top heavy older age group (far greater than under fifties) that could be a reason why more are dying? Is there anything to this?

Invisible Woman likes this.
  18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An article criticising the governments approach comments on the evidence presented on 'behavioural fatigue' (including the Wessely paper I mentioned earlier).

https://unherd.com/2020/03/the-scientific-case-against-herd-immunity/

The main bit on fatigue:

I agree that the papers presented publicly didn't say much, so it's important to find out what the government was being told privately by their behavioural science advisors. We've previously seen how Wessely can go well beyond the evidence when he thinks he's speaking privately to politicians or civil servants, and it will be interesting to see what basis there was for the behavioural assumptions that shaped government policies.

19. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New Zealand borders to close from midnight tonight (6 hours time) to non-residents.

20. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the radio, some scientists were quoted as saying that air pollution makes the virus more dangerous. That could be an important factor in why things got so bad in Wuhan and Lombardy.

Authorities in Italy now also want to tighten the lockdown rules further.

Re. behavioural science, I think this and the modeling fiasco are showing that people should pay more attention to the real world and less to models and other experiments conducted in different contexts. It seems to me that to understand behaviour you have to understand the person's circumstances, not so much their psychology (whatever that even is).

I can definitely see healthcare personal in the UK revolting because they're not even given protective equipment from what I head. And that is also a terrible idea because hospitals can easily spread the virus and are probably an important source of contagion.

Edit: Italy also has high rates of antibiotic resistance because of overuse. That could increase the risk of an untreatable secondary infection developing in the lungs.

Sarah94, AliceLily, Snowdrop and 15 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.