Covid-19 and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, 2023, Fajloun et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Binkie4, Feb 11, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I came across this.

COVID-19 and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
    : The Dangers of the Spike
    Protein of SARS-CoV-2

This article describes the effect of the spike protein from both covid and the covid vaccine on those with Ehlers Danlos syndrome.

CONCLUSION
    Regarding SARS-CoV-2 infection and vaccine injections) in people with EDS, we can conclude that although
    EDS is a rare genetic pathology, with an overall incidence of approximately 1 in 5000 people (highly variable inci-
    dence depending on the type of EDS), we have observed that a very high number of people suffering from the most
    severe cases of long COVID (post-infection or post-vaccination sequelae) presented with EDS. As mentioned earlier,
    EDS is systemic and directly linked to abnormalities in the connective tissue of genetic origin (production of colla-
    gen). It seems to us quite possible that the deficiency in proteins of the extracellular matrix, which target membrane
    integrins, confers an exacerbated "sensitivity" to the viral or vaccine Spike protein also capable of targeting integrins,
    potentially leading to cell death, via caspase-3 or other activation. Notably, the Spike protein binds to alpha-5 beta-1
    and alpha-V beta-3 integrins, which are integrins also targeted by collagen (partially denatured, exposing its cryp
    tic/hidden RGD motifs), being deficient in people with EDS. Thus, it seems to us that any anti-Covid-19 vaccination
    booster for these high-risk people is not desirable, the benefit/risk balance being extremely unfavorable. In the case of
    SARS-CoV-2 infection, early outpatient treatment (e.g., high vitamin D supplementation) of these people seems appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2023
    RedFox, Hutan, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

They include hypermobile EDS in the group of conditions they are talking about.

Unfortunately, they just refer in vague terms to the incidence of severe Long Covid in people with established EDS. They don't tell us how they came to have had "numerous contacts with people suffering from
    long Covid (thanks to Drs. Claude Escarguel (UPGCS), Jean-Roch Gonet and Christine Cotton)", give any numbers, or tell us what types of EDS the people who developed Long Covid had.

The authors seem to have expertise in venoms, toxins, viral infections, neuroscience and ion channels, which is a combination I find interesting with respect to ME/CFS, and they appear well-intentioned. But presumably they are operating outside their area of expertise in writing this. I wish that they had given us some specifics about the incidences including the specific symptoms of "Long Covid" that they have observed these patients. I don't have the background to assess the biochemistry hypothesis.

Regarding Vitamin D supplementation for Covid infection, this 2022 BMJ note talks about two decent trials that found no benefit, although it does say that the vaccination roll out may have confounded things. The appearance of what seem to be effective anti-virals might allow for some fine-tuning of the risk/benefit balance when considering booster vaccinations. But to do that well, there needs to be data.

RedFox, Binkie4 and NelliePledge like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It just looks like ill-informed speculation with no evidence and a gratuitous remark about withholding vaccines. I am not sure spreading disinformation comes under 'well-intentioned'!

RedFox, alktipping, merylg and 3 others like this.
  4. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree perhaps GWAS will provide some clues, so far the [EDIT - ion channel] work of Professor Donald R. Staines (Menzies Health Institute Queensland group) doesn't see to have worked out.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    RedFox likes this.
  5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just glanced at the heading above.
    If you're going to suggest that the spike proteins, in vaccines, are causing problems then you'd need some evidence.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2023
    RedFox, alktipping and merylg like this.