Trial Report Daily Multidimensional Fatigue Scale and Physiological Indicators to minimize Subjective Bias in assessing Fatigue Levels, 2024, Lee

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Dolphin, Jul 6, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://openaccess.cms-conferences....978-1-964867-23-6/article/978-1-964867-23-6_4

Daily Multidimensional Fatigue Scale and Physiological Indicators to minimize Subjective Bias in assessing Fatigue Levels

Open Access
    Article
    Conference Proceedings
    Authors: Yongkyun Lee, Hyesu Park, Sitai Kim, Younggun Lee, Seunghoon Yoo, Sungho Kim, Choongsik Oh, Hyesik Yun, Joonghoon Ko, Jongwoo Ha, Dongsoo Kim

Abstract:

Fatigue is a human factor that can diminish task efficiency and serve as a potential cause of safety incidents.

The specific aim is to investigate the removal of subjective bias in fatigue assessment with the daily multidimensional fatigue inventory (DMFI), covering acute, cumulative, physical, and mental fatigue.

Additionally, the goal is to investigate the elimination of residual subjective bias after DMFI using physiological indicators, the Psychomotor Cognition Test (PCT), salivary CRP, blood lactate, and salivary cortisol, related to each type of fatigue.

The DMFI significantly classified daily fatigue into 5 levels (p<0.001).

As the level of fatigue increased, the reaction time of PCT slows down, and the success rate decreased.

PCT alone was not sufficient for classifying fatigue levels.

However, PCT could possibly serve as a tool for data refinement, eliminating some subjective bias in self-reported fatigue levels.

The levels of blood lactate showed a positive correlation with the increase in fatigue levels.

Especially in groups with high levels of physical activity, the concentration of blood lactate can be utilized as a tool to eliminate subjective bias, and it was found to be useful in classifying fatigue into binary or 3 levels.

Salivary CRP, representing cumulative fatigue, had some utility as a tool to track subjective bias in participants, specifically in office work where cumulative fatigue levels were relatively low.

Salivary cortisol, representing mental fatigue, was found to be unsuitable as an indicator for tracking fatigue levels in mentally healthy participants.

The accumulated data here will be utilized for the training of a deep learning-based fatigue level classifier.

Keywords: Fatigue, Lactate, Firefighter

Lee, Y., Park, H., Kim, S., Lee, Y., Yoo, S., Kim, S., Oh, C., Yun, H., Ko, J., Ha, J., Kim, D. (2024). Daily Multidimensional Fatigue Scale and Physiological Indicators to minimize Subjective Bias in assessing Fatigue Levels. In: Ravindra S. Goonetilleke and Shuping Xiong (eds) Physical Ergonomics and Human Factors. AHFE (2024) International Conference. AHFE Open Access, vol 147. AHFE International, USA.
    http://doi.org/10.54941/ahfe1005175

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

No idea how good this study is. Too brain dead at the moment to look closely. But at least somebody is trying to pin this down.

3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do hope there's more to it than a new acronym. "We've created a new acronym. Problem solved!"

I do fear that this might be misused against ME, or for that matter, any people who experience fatigue from activities other than firefighting or whichever activities were used as examples. ME has a fatigue-like symptom, so tests for normal fatigue may not apply. There isn't even a clear definition of "normal fatigue". Really, this looks like a very dangerous tool: useful when used properly, destructive when misapplied.

MeSci, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.