1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dental implants

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Jaybee00, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone have dental implants post ME/CFS? Did they heal OK? Just wondering if they heal properly if you are not very active or if you are horizontal for long periods of time.

Thanks.

DokaGirl and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have one (molar), gotten several years into my ME. I didn't have any problems healing quickly, or any other problems with it. My ME doesn't keep me inactive or horizontal though.

DokaGirl, Peter Trewhitt and Jaybee00 like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My pattern seems to be developing various dental issues during the more marked relapses in my ME, abscesses, impacted wisdom teeth, dying nerves, then as there is some remission a period of a year or more getting the dental issues sorted. Fortunately my current relapse only resulted in needing one root canal filling and repair to the tooth part of one implant, though the first lockdown delayed the getting them sorted.

Over the course of my ME I have had three implants, one of which also required a bone graft. Though they took it out of me, and I needed good long gaps in the various stages I had no problems with the procedures or the implants themselves.

Other than needing more time to recover from the various stages in the procedure in terms of energy levels and ME symptoms, the only problem I have had relating to a dental procedure was avoiding infection in the healing void following a wisdom tooth extraction.

alktipping, DokaGirl, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  4. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i saved for a long time in order to get implants when i eventually lose enough teeth . then i came across some study that suggested that implants often lead to a loss of bone density in the lower jaw and some life threatening infections this reading i think on medscape put me of that idea . like many things more research is needed .

Jaybee00 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I did consider it a couple of years ago I have one gap leaving the back top molar as a single tooth. Considered bridge or implant but taking account of the benefits and costs of each option I decided I’m getting on ok with just leaving the gap as is.

Although If another tooth on that side had to be extracted then I would reconsider

6. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am implanted and still alive!