1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Development of a recumbent isometric yoga program for patients with severe CFS/ME, Oka et al, 2017

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Binkie4, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2018
    MEMarge and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is a potentially interesting study, though yet again another study that relies on subjective measures which are most likely to be subject to placebo or bias effects, and are not necessarily indicators of any change in the underlying condition.

Further there are the problem of the lack of a formal control group, there is some anecdotal attempt at using participants as their own controls, though in theory this could be a valid experimental design, it was not used here in a way that allows clear conclusions.

Further the authors seem to have no clear idea what they are attempting to do, compounding issues of making rest and relaxation more efficient with improving physical function.

However for me the biggest problem is not addressing the issue of orthostatic intolerance. My personal experience is that orthostatic intolerance can be a more significant limiting factor on activity than such as energy exerted. Unless they have some measure of orthostatic intolerance in their participants it is totally unclear what they are looking at or if they even have a homogenous group.

I need to read the article more thoroughly, but I suspect the theoretical biases of the authors yet again result in an experimental design producing in uninterpretable results.

Binkie4 and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Tiny feasibility study (12 patients) of recumbent isometric yoga, using a mood scale and the Chalder Fatigue questionnaire as outcome measures. Nothing useful can be deduced from this other than it's feasible to carry out such as study.

I found more details of the study here that describe the 'recumbent isometric yoga' developed for this study.

https://storage.googleapis.com/quetechce-com/material/Chronic_Fatigue_Syndrome_and_Yoga.pdf

It doesn't bear any resemblance to what would be done in a yoga class, as far as I can see. It's basically lying down in low light to avoid overstimulation and over 20 minutes moving into a few different recumbent positions and holding them for a bit, plus lots of lying on your back relaxing. Just getting to a local yoga class would use far more effort.

That feasibility study shouldn't be used to justify any yoga class.

WillowJ, ScottTriGuy, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Development of a recumbent isometric yoga program for patients with severe chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis: A pilot study to assess feasibility and efficacy

Takakazu Oka, Hisako Wakita, Keishin Kimura
    BioPsychoSocial Medicine, The official journal of the Japanese Society of Psychosomatic Medicine, 2017

https://bpsmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13030-017-0090-z

This is a study related to one on seated yoga discussed here.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    adambeyoncelowe and Andy like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, basically, if you are bedridden moving about a bit could be good or you?

Hutan, Trish, erin and 2 others like this.
  6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hate it when folks, researchers and physicians, do not understand cause and pathology of the disease and want to push exercise and rehabilitation at all costs. If you do not understand the disease, you study it.

(Where they published their findings (journal of psychosomtic medicine) is a huge red flag too)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    TiredSam, Maggie, Atle and 2 others like this.