1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 12th April 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Differences in fatigue-like behavior in the lipopolysaccharide and poly I:C inflammatory animal models, 2021, Foster et al

Discussion in 'Health News and Research unrelated to ME/CFS' started by Andy, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member (& Outreach when energy allows)

Highlights

• LPS and poly I:C administration induced systemic inflammation.
    • LPS induced ‘sickness behaviors’, not observed poly I:C-treated animals.
    • LPS produces ‘sickness behaviors’ similar to a human fatigue phenotype.

Abstract
    Central fatigue is a condition associated with impairment of the central nervous system often leading to the manifestation of a range of debilitating symptoms. Fatigue can be a consequence of systemic inflammation following an infection. Administration of lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and polyriboinosinic:polyribocytidlic (poly I:C) to animals can induce systemic inflammation by mimicking a bacterial or viral infection respectively and therefore have been used as models of fatigue.

We evaluated a range of phenotypic behaviors exhibited in the LPS and poly I:C animal models to assess whether they adequately replicate fatigue symptomology in humans. In addition to standard observation- and intervention-based behavioral assessments, we used powerful in-cage monitoring technology to quantify rodent behavior without external interference. LPS and poly I:C treated Sprague Dawley rats displayed ‘sickness behaviors’ of elevated temperature, weight loss and reduced activity in the open field test and with in-cage monitoring within 24 h post-treatment, but only LPS-treated rats displayed these behaviors beyond these acute timepoints. Once sickness behavior diminished, LPS-treated rats exhibited an increase in reward-seeking and motivation behaviors.

Overall, these results suggest that the LPS animal model produces an extensive and sustained fatigue-like phenotype, whereas the poly I:C model only produced acute effects. Our results suggest that the LPS animal model is a more suitable candidate for further studies on central fatigue-like behavior.

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031938421000391

Michelle, Creekside, Snowdrop and 2 others like this.