1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Disability as identity' - discussion thread

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by dave30th, Jun 13, 2022.

1. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2022
  2. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

it’s reminiscent of the Spiked article regarding Long Covid. Presenting patients as meandering, sick role seeking, upper middle class whites is a time honored bipartisan trope. In fact it may be the only principle that left and right can recite in unison. Someone, perhaps the always eloquent Dave Tuller, should write an editorial about this canard, and how it transcends party politics.

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is meant with disability as identity? Does it just mean viewing myself as disabled?

FMMM1, oldtimer, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  4. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe it suggests, in the case of ME, that individuals are frustrated with their unachievable ambitions and rather unimpressive lives. Having failed to garner recognition a legitimate way, they turn to bogus disabilities for attention and meaning

5. Hoopoe

I'm not sure how anyone in touch with reality could come to the conclusion that ME/CFS is the result of people wanting an identity and meaning through the status of disabled person. Maybe less fantasizing, more talking to real people is what he needs?

What does he mean with "disability as just another identity class used for social positioning"?

6. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brendan O'Neill in Spiked 17th September 2021

'Is Long Covid a myth?'

'Middle-class hypochondria seems to play an important role in this ill-defined condition'

' ... in giving such a definitive name – Long Covid – to a mixed bag of symptoms, including symptoms that are actually part and parcel of being a busy working adult, is there a danger that we have socially constructed a disease? That we have invented a sickness and, worse, implicitly invited people to identify with this sickness as a way of explaining why they feel knackered or down or anxious? It’s time we asked these questions, and interrogated the Long Covid panic.'

'How much did the culture of fear around Long Covid help to convince people that they had it? And did a broader culture of victimhood likewise help to coax people to self-identify as suffering from this new, seemingly fascinating ailment, and even to embrace Long Covid as a kind of identity?'

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/09/17/is-long-covid-a-myth/

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Disabled identity to me is perceived by these people as part of ‘Secondary gain’ - we can get all sorts of ‘preferential treatment’ due to being disabled

Disabled parking, motability cars, disability social security benefits, ill health retirement, reasonable adjustments at work

all the stuff that is resented by uninformed unempathetic healthy people

DokaGirl, Missense, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In my personal experience being ill gets me ignored. If my aim was to get attention then choosing to pretend to be ill would be a very poor strategy.

9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And ME in particular would be one of the worst possible choices you could make to get attention and (alleged) secondary gains.

10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He thinks because he had mental health issues (bi-polar disorder) in his past that he is now qualified to write about disability in general. I think he's *reacting* to people with social anxiety and "mild" autism who have adopted what he perceives to be a disability identity.

But in general he is one of those "Right wing" academics
    https://www.patheos.com/blogs/betwe...ers-the-cult-of-smart-misses-about-education/
    https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2022/05...ican-academia-is-vivid-and-depressing-n469754
    https://www.businessinsider.com/cul...deboer-schools-marxism-cancel-culture-2020-10
    https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/

I agree with several of the theses - that disability is not "beautiful" and should always be treated if possible - but he doesn't understand that the root of these views do not arise from the disability community, but rather ableism - able bodied people want to be told that disability isn't necessarily bad, so that they don't feel bad about disabled people.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    FMMM1, DokaGirl, CRG and 15 others like this.
  11. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Disability absolutely is being used by people for social positioning. It is very popular among younger folks on social media. On TikTok there is currently a big fad of young people faking mental disorders for attention. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/articl...ders-on-social-media-what-should-parents-know

FMMM1, DokaGirl, Jaybee00 and 2 others like this.
  12. Hoopoe

Not sure about this. I generally take a skeptical stance about claims of anyone faking illness for attention or gains. This must surely exist as phenomenon but I think it's more likely that the people so accused have real problems that are just misunderstood and don't fit the mental model of society of what disability and chronic illness should look like. It's very varied.

I can see how adolescents might have a strong need to build a positive identity that includes their disability and allows it to be visible (instead of suppressing and hiding it) and a need to be accepted by their peers. Which could lead to social media videos that to others might look like a questionable or fake illness for attention, or secondary gains, or wanting to be disabled when they are not.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    bobbler, Sarah94, DokaGirl and 13 others like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

So they don't feel any moral obligation to help the disabled, is my cynical take on it.

DokaGirl, alktipping, JemPD and 13 others like this.
  14. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Your underestimating the current worship of "identity" and identity politics among youth currently. It is at an almost religious level at this point. The intersection of identity politics plus social media has created an environment unlike any that previous generations have dealt with. Among a large swath of youth culture 'disability' currently brings with it social capital. The 'oppression olympics' are real. I am watching teens in my own life participating in it. People who are not disabled and/or mentally ill are absolutely claiming otherwise for 'popularity' reasons.

Oni, Lou B Lou, DokaGirl and 7 others like this.
  15. Hoopoe

This is very possible, as I don't have contact with that age group and little exposure to its social media.

16. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6 years ago when we had a CAMHS referral for anxiety pre ME this was becoming an issue.

Not necessarily from kids but seemed to be from parents as increased mental health awareness created a "niche". It was trendy amongst some to have a child with MH issues. It contributed to increased waiting periods and was the bane of GP and therapists lives. In an already struggling system it was a straw for a camel's back.

There are many Instagram and tik tok accounts where parents entire social profile and status is via their ( small ) kids who don't seem to have much input.

I'm sure that there are also kids for whom disability has become their identity rather than part of it.

Sad.

My daughter has specific views on ablism and disability derived from her ME experience. It's a subject " normal" people have very little comprehension . A bit like structural racism.
    Gigi posted yesterday on ablism - trigger warning - very unpleasant

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CewIFA7gLCZu4oDEfI43mbGGc5-ubSnWF8S_XI0/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Ali, alktipping, Snow Leopard and 2 others like this.
  17. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Amw66 The link you give is to a private account. Nobody will be able to read it. I don't know anything about Instagram. Can your daughter choose to make a single page public?

18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hardly. It is just that there are new forms of identity that replace the old-fasioned ones - instead of identifying with political parties or ideologies like nationalism/fascism, have instead been fractured into fractalised identities. Nonetheless, race-based identities have remained, but as usual, white people pretend they are the norm and hence that it isn't actually an identity.

Sean, lycaena and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  19. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Regarding this Deboer did a really long post about why he didn’t believe Ross Douthat’s claim in his book https://www.s4me.info/threads/how-i-became-a-sick-person—ross-douthat-nyt.22936/#post-389610 that he suffered from Chronic Lyme.

https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/review-ross-douthats-the-deep-places?s=r

11 “The endless proliferation of disabilities through boutique diagnoses such as “ME-CFS” and “chronic Lyme” stem fundamentally from market need - there is a market desire for additional disabilities to create identity and meaning, and so the medical community is creating additional disabilities”

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  20. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At least he got the description of himself right.

Ali, Lou B Lou, Lilas and 4 others like this.