Do graded activity therapies cause harm in chronic fatigue syndrome? (Kindlon, 2017)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's the 2-year anniversary of this open access paper of mine, so I'm giving it a plug in a few places.

It could be useful if there is any suggestion that somebody should be coerced into doing graded activity or exercise programmes; also to counter claims that the PACE Trial showed graded activity programs are safe.

The word limit for the abstract was 100 words, so I couldn't say as much as I would have liked.

I would have liked to have mentioned the PACE trial in the title as a lot of the focus was the harms reporting in the PACE Trial but the journal's editor wanted something shorter.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1359105317697323

2. Tom Kindlon

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All those papers were two years ago? That's such a long time. Progress since then feels so slow!

Thanks for all your work. This was a really useful paper on a difficult topic.

4. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for doing such amazing work and not giving up !

5. Obermann

Obermann Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Solid and scientifically sound criticism of the reporting of harm in GET trials. As always, it is a pleasure to read your papers, Tom! :thumbup:

6. Tom Kindlon

7. Tom Kindlon

8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have actually used the original paper when someone was considering recommending GET for me. I think they felt I had little to lose by trying it but the paper made them think again.

Thank you @Tom Kindlon :thumbup:

lycaena, MEMarge, Sean and 5 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

maybe someone could enlighten the author of this blog:
    Code:
    https://medium.com/@djsan77/6-long-term-negative-effects-of-lack-of-physical-activity-b4970374d40b

Simbindi and Invisible Woman like this.