1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have throat problems?

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Ysabelle-S, Oct 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I went through about a 10 year period where I was forever getting coughs for no reason. They would last weeks to months and then go away just as suddenly as they started. Touch wood I haven't had them for a while now. My sister occasionally got them also and she didn't have ME so I'm not sure if mine were ME related or not.

Ysabelle-S, Wonko and Andy like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Samuel many of us have issues swallowing, it seems to be a common feature of ME. This can include food sticking and not going down. I have to drink a lot to keep my throat wet, and sometimes to swallow dry food at all.

Ysabelle-S, MeSci, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  3. TigerLilea

I have suffered with Chronic Sinusitis for many years and I'm wondering now if possibly I have LPR which is causing my symptoms. Several people over the past year have asked me about having acid reflux and I didn't think that I had it because I never get heartburn. However, since researching the symptoms I'm wondering if this could be my problem - 'Silent Acid Reflux'. It could explain why some nights I wake up with the sensation that I can't swallow.

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I have sore croaky throat a lot. When I get my worst level of PEM flu like symptoms always a sore throat involved sometimes to the extent of barely being able to speak due to it hurting, swollen glands as well. Also day to day when my energy is about to run out I get a croaky (not particularly painful) throat. At one time when I was still working full time years before diagnosis I regularly had laryngitis so bad I was off sick for 3 weeks. On one occasion the Dr thought I had Mumps - which I’d had when I was 7. I was over 50. I haven’t got tonsils they were removed when I was 6 years old as was fairly common in the 60s.

On the reflux. As an overweight person I was getting this occasionally especially when I’d had a larger/later than usual evening meal. However since I read information on Dr Myhills website about gut health I started taking 1000 mg Vit C am and at night. I’ve not had an issue with reflux since. Would recommend this as it is such an easy thing to try.

TigerLilea likes this.
  5. TigerLilea

I'll add the Vitamin C to my list of things to try. I've read several times that what some doctors diagnose as acid reflux is actually not enough stomach acid for the stomach to do it's thing.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yep that’s where Dr M is coming from & she recommends Vit C as a good way to address it. I think she might say more than the amount I take but I gave 1000mg x2 a try and seemed to do the trick so didn’t increase

TigerLilea likes this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Although I had a recurrent sore throat when I first became ill - in fact, my onset seemed to have been precipitated by a really severe sore throat (that may have been strep) - sore throats didn't really bother me much after the first few years of ME.

When I heard about crimson crescents, I checked the back of my throat out of curiosity, expecting to find nothing. There they were, just as I'd seen in uploaded photos.

The question is... how specific is this to ME/CFS?

Mij, Nellie and alex3619 like this.