1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else experience a pulsating up the back of the neck as a sign of deterioration or having done to much?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by AliceLily, Aug 21, 2020.

1. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last night I had a bad bout of this symptom and had to take a diclofenac sodium tablet. I had a headache as well.

I've always noticed over all the years of my ME (over 20 years) that I get a strong pulsating feeling going up the back of my neck when I have overdone it. It feels like the blood is being pumped faster. My blood pressure has been on the lower side of things for most of my ME. I think now it is more in a normal range.

Anyone else get this symptoms.

I may not be able to respond. Thanks for any reply.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    sb4, alktipping, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't say I've experienced this, but I hope you're okay. :hug:

alktipping, Mij, NelliePledge and 3 others like this.
  3. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Kitty :hug: Yes, I am okay. The diclofenac helped last night, eventually.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    alktipping, Mij and Keela Too like this.
  4. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I get some sort of weird sensation at the back of my neck. Not exactly pulsating but definitely a sort of pressure. Urgh. I think it’s a form of inflammation. I take ibuprophen to ease it, which seems to help. I tend to getting migraines, and sometimes they start with a dull pain sensation in the same area.

alktipping, Amw66, Tia and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I definitely feel it in my neck when I've overdone it. I don't think I'd describe it as pulsating but it feels inflammed and a very deep, strong ache (like a migraine in the neck and upper neck/lower head).

alktipping and AliceLily like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yup. Can be pretty intense. It's definitely time to lie down when that happens.

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I feel it more in my lower back and pelvis like my muscles are struggling to hold my torso up. But then I’m overweight so it’s a lot of effort.

8. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes my neck often feels strained after a few hours sitting upright and headaches have pretty much been a daily thing since the beginning .

AliceLily likes this.
  9. Lidia Thompson

Lidia Thompson Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. Absolutely!
    I tend to have a lot of muscle pain with my ME anyway. However, when I get that characteristic burning sensation and pain in the back of my neck, then I know I'm really in trouble. When I get this I now know (after years of experience) that I need to drop EVERYTHING and go to bed immediately.
    In the past, when I pushed through, I ended up in serious trouble.

10. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The pulsating I feel is right at the top of the neck area but it feels like my brain stem is throbbing or swelling up.

rvallee, AliceLily and Keela Too like this.