1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else experience soreness in the back?

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by AliceLily, Jan 20, 2019.

1. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This could be the muscles in my back feeling sore after being up and doing stuff for longer than I should. It's a really unpleasant feeling and I just want lay down. Once I lay down for awhile it eases and disappears again.

I feel it around the back of the kidney area and feel like I can't hold myself up for much longer.
    I've only experienced this in the last few years.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Yes, I've had it from day 1. Kidney area. Also higher up the back in the middle. It's a warning sign that I'm close to overdoing it, and goes away again when I rest.

3 months before my ME started I had severe pain in the kidney area which left me unable to move off the sofa for days. I had all the tests and there's nothing wrong with me, of course.

3. AliceLily

@TiredSam I get it across the back of the kidneys and up the back as well. It's a heavy, achy feeling and you want to stretch your back out but it doesn't make any difference.

I noticed last Friday when I had it while out that any kind of back support helps until you can get to a lying down position. My mother and I were out at a café after I had been doing stuff beforehand (mornings are when I go out if up to it) and we sat down on a stool with no backrest. I was feeling pretty desperate to get home. But while on the bus going home, that bit of back support helped.

4. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got long term aching pain in the kidney area in my first bout of M.E., dismissed as nothing by doctors. Not this time round though?

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

That sounds very familiar. It always reminds me to lean back in my chair instead of leaning forwards so much.

7. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lots of lower back pain. Indirectly caused by ME.
    My chiropractor says i have weak core muscles and that can't be fixed until i can strengthen them which won't be doable until we have an ME treatment. So its just maintenance, i go in regularly for a tune up so i manage without too much pain these days but it will come back within a month if i don't go and still happens every now and then.

8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lots of pain in my back, concentrated in the colon area just before it goes into the descending colon, and where my left kidney is, but spreads from my left buttock up the left hand side of my back up to my shoulder. I can't stand for great lengths of time. For example, visiting a museum or art gallery, which involves standing and reading exhibits, causes me immense pain. I still go, but the visits have to be kept short. I have ended up lying on the floor, flat on my back before because of the pain, which is embarrassing in a public place.

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I agree with others about link to muscle fatiguability. After doing activity involving sitting up for a long period or standing/walking for a much shorter period without a rest break I get pain lower back hips glutes and thighs like my lower body is struggling to hold my (not inconsiderable) torso up.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  10. AliceLily

@SallyC The kidneys do feel involved. They feel achy and sore along with the back area. I didn't understand what you meant when you said "Not this time round though?" Are you not experiencing it this time? Sorry you have had this too.

11. AliceLily

I hope I don't get this one, although the key hole surgery has made the operation not as bad as the huge cut they used to perform.

I've checked through the symptoms and don't think I have this but good to refresh my memory about gallstones again. Thanks for the link. I hope you are well recovered now @Andy

ladycatlover and Andy like this.
  12. AliceLily

I think it might be muscle weakness but I do wonder if our kidneys might be the cause of it.

ladycatlover and Andy like this.
  13. AliceLily

Yes, core strengthening is way too intense and produces a severe PEM for me. I tried a number of times to tone up. It triggers PEM and you can't get past it.

14. AliceLily

@Arnie Pye I wish we had shops that had beds in them that we could pay for a lie down and rest for a hour while out shopping.

I get sore along the traverse colon too, but I think it is due to constipation that I am now experiencing since menopause. I've got to try and persuade my doctor (new doctor) to refer me for a colonoscopy this year.

15. AliceLily

Sounds like you feel the discomfort lower down @NelliePledge

16. NelliePledge

I get it like a bar across lower back too. I’ve also had quite a few UTIs as well in the past.

17. AliceLily

I know what you mean about the bar, it feels like that under and across the kidney area. I've had one UTI and a kidney stone.

ladycatlover likes this.
  18. NelliePledge

As far as I’m aware no kidney stones but regular UTIs in fact in the end I was getting symptoms but told no infection which was about 35-25 years ago before MUS but I think UTI that’s not infectious is another one on the MUS list so probably a good thing I moved about and my records from that time didn’t get computerised.

ladycatlover and AliceLily like this.
  19. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, my current relapse/second bout is completely different to my first illness, no back pain or stomach pain this time. My main symptoms now are moderate/severe POTS with associated chest pain. Both were very unpleasant but the POTS is far more disabling.

Hope you find some answers/help for your pain.

20. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It does sound similar to kidney stones. The pain may not be exactly the same as last time but its worth getting checked for just in case.

ladycatlover and AliceLily like this.