1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else get IBS as part of a crash?

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by Andy, Dec 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Title says it all really. I normally don't have gut issues but due to recent over-exertion I not only crashed but it also brought on a painful, swollen abdomen with constipation, which is now starting to ease off. This pattern has happened to me before, most notably 14 months ago following a massive, for me, over-exertion, and resolved itself in the same way. I was just curious if anybody else has this temporary IBS?

svetoslav80, Yessica, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Andy if this is occuring during overexertion it is most likely due to autonomic deregulation. I don't have IBS but experience nausea during PEM.

Yessica, Ryan31337, ahimsa and 9 others like this.
  3. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I have IBS flares specifically during crashes. My recent experiment with the ketogenic diet has helped with this.

Yessica, jpcv, ladycatlover and 7 others like this.
  4. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My gut slows down when I’m in a crash, so yes bloating and constipation. Also muscle cramps everywhere. I take extra magnesium which helps those symptoms....

5. Sue

Sue Established Member (Voting Rights)

Same here. When I was at my worst with this illness my “ ibs” was off the charts.

6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have had IBS for many years, but had stopped it thanks to a dietary change, until I had my worsening about a year and three-quarters ago, when I had a brain impact and ended up in hospital for 6 days. I think it might be improving gradually, with the IBS only lasting part of the day, and the brain apparently being much less affected when it's absent.

Hope this makes sense. I've got IBS at the moment.

Sue, ladycatlover, AliceLily and 6 others like this.
  7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, often. Sometimes it seems that the problem starts in the gut and then expands.

8. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely yes, IBS accompanies flares/crashes. All part of the inflammation picture, I reckon.

Hutan, Sue, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  9. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MY normal pattern was: constipation during flare and one bout of diaree at the end of the flare. ( in the old days vets said about such a bout of diaree: Good, the rubbish came out.)

I never thought that was IBS .

The more I improve the more the belly shrinks. It is almost normal now. When I was severe it looked like I was 9 montjs pregant with twins.

10. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's something I experience, too. I have constant IBS problems, but when I feel overall worse I have more bloating and diarrhea and pain.

Hutan, ladycatlover, Andy and 2 others like this.
  11. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes but diarrhoea more often than constipation.
    ETA Not just mild but full blown, gastroenteritis symptoms

Hutan, ladycatlover, Andy and 2 others like this.
  12. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I have low level IBS most of the time (usually only triggered by certain foods), but it flares badly with crashes, or other stressors. (And creates waves of anxiety too)

If possible, I found that eating soluble fibre lessens the pain and distress.

We are usually told to increase fibre, but insoluble fibre makes me worse, and others too.

A list of good foods and the reasons why can be found at HelpforIBS.com . Although foods you can tolerate will vary.

A good hot drink that relives gas is helpful too, like peppermint (don't use if you have GERD), fennel or even just hot water.

Lying on your left side can help, with lying on your right side making things worse, (due to the position of the stomach and gravity), and heat like a pad or hot water bottle might make a difference.

13. Subtropical Island

Large volumes of hot/warm drinks speed the gut. So I guess you could use that to advantage if that's the problem.
    I find not eating helps slow things down but obviously not sustainable. And it doesn't fix the fever etc.
    Rest is the only real 'solution' for me.

14. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you often get a fever? According to this poll http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/what-is-your-body-temperature-rethinking-98-6.1454/ only about 13% of people with ME have a high temperature. We tend to have a low temperature according to that survey (over 70% of respondents).

15. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Years ago I tracked my body temperature 3x/day and found that my body temperature dropped the next day or two after over exerting and PEM.

Hutan, MeSci, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  16. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am still waiting to get one.

17. Rossy191276

Rossy191276 Established Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Allele, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  18. Subtropical Island

I am usually cold since ME/CFS. Extra cold when sicker. (ETA: for example I wear 5-6 wool layers, a hat and a wind proof on a bright summer day when out and about with people wearing t-shirts and shorts).
    I had a course (ironically first aid) this year and we were testing thermometers and, after concentrating for so long in one go, I was technically hypothermic (pretended to think it was the instruments).
    But I get (ETA low grade) fevers every now and again, several times a month. Usually accompanied by feeling active. Occasionally when in bed sick.
    [NB Only started measuring them when in august doctor said that I was supposed to tell him when I have a fever, that it means something, that it's very rarely nothing. He measured a fever in a checkup {that I asked for in a last ditch attempt to find something other than ME/CFS (something treatable or at least with an agreed course of action)} and told me to pay attention to fevers.
    Never feel like doing anything about it when I have a fever. Either just want to rest or more often I want to get on with things. With effort, I tell people, or I record it sporadically.]
    [Edited to remove some excess.]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Hutan, MeSci, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thanks for the tips, and I'll check the site out. :)