1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dorsal root ganglia: fibromyalgia pain factory?, 2021, Martinez-Lavin

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10067-020-05528-z

Edited to break up paragraphs for ease of reading.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2021
    spinoza577, Grigor, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inflammation of the dorsal root ganglia have been found in autopsies of people with ME.

"Fibromyalgia is clearly a stress-related disorder.
    Psychological distress, physical trauma, and/or autoimmune illnesses are frequent fibromyalgia drivers. Dorsal root ganglia (DRG) have unique anatomical and physiological features making them able to convert varied afferent stressful impulses, including psychological distress, into neuropathic pain [3]."

The author's only reference for this is his unpublished work below:

3 Martínez-Lavín M (2020) Fibromyalgia in women: somatisation or stress-evoked, sex-dimorphic neuropathic pain? Clinical and experimental rheumatology. Advance online publication

3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

By some sort of magic?

4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have never heard that ME has "exercise-induced DRG pro-nociceptive molecules gene overexpression"

Diagnosing FM and ME is very lax. One doctor said that the criteria for FM was now so loose it was almost meaningless and it in things like FND FM means widespread pain and CFS means fatigue.

When things are found in patients with FM and ME together I wonder how much effort they have made to distinguish the severe myalgia of fibromyalgia with the severe myalgia of ME.

Maybe work like this will eventually be a proper test for FM and lead to a treatment but it seems like a way to bring biology to "stress related"

I am more interested in treatments for dorsal ganglia problems because it has been found at autopsy in the few autopsies that have been done on people with ME.