Dr Björn Bragée and the Bragée ME-center in Stockholm, Sweden

Discussion in 'Other clinics and doctors' started by mango, Jul 14, 2022.

1. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bragée Clinics are apparently supporting unevidenced treatments for ME. Not sure how else to interpret the fact that Björn Bragée is featured in a campaign video by FSI, and this article published on their webpage:

FSI larmar i skrivelse och film
    https://www.bragee.se/detta-ar-en-meljon

FSI about their petition:

Peter Trewhitt, RedFox, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is FSI?

That looks like a lot of misinformation.

Peter Trewhitt, Sean and Hutan like this.
  3. mango

The Association for Difficult-to-Diagnose Infectious Diseases, a (problematic) patient organisation for ME, post-covid, post lyme and other vector born diseases, fibromyalgia etc.

Yes. Evidence, facts and patient safety are sadly not among their priorities, it seems. They are big on promoting experimental stuff, speculative hypotheses, private clinics, commercial products like supplements etc. And they are very hostile and aggressive towards those who don't agree with them.

RME (the Swedish ME Association) often collaborates with FSI, which unfortunately has given FSI quite a lot of influence.

Peter Trewhitt, RedFox, Wyva and 3 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The letter emphasises the importance of not being limited to efficacy studies.

Translation: We got nothing. So we are just going to fake it.

mango, Peter Trewhitt, CRG and 2 others like this.
  5. mango

For what it's worth, a new blog article on bragee.se explaining sensitization in relation to pain.

När nervsystemet är i obalans: Smärta som sprider sig
    https://www.bragee.se/nar-nervsystemet-ar-i-obalans

Hutan, Kalliope and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"And now the brain goes into overdrive and starts over-interpreting even quite innocent stress and activates the pain"

I've seen this kind of statement a lot but never any indication of what is actually going on. Are there any proposed mechanisms by which signals are over-interpreted? Why would the same signal be interpreted differently at different times?

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea whether that makes sense physiologically. It doesn't make sense to me experientially.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow this is an impressive bunch of pseudoscientific BS and weird opinions. Zero difference between this and old pre-science myths.

Hutan, alktipping, Trish and 2 others like this.
  9. mango

After making the decision to close ME-center early, Bragée is opening a private primary care clinic in Östermalm, Stockholm, the week after next (phones open this Monday).

Bragée Husläkarmottagning Östermalm - din vårdcentral
    https://www.bragee.se/huslakarmottagning-ostermalm

At the bottom of the page announcing the opening of this new clinic, there's this note:
    A wee bit of context, for those of you not familiar with Stockholm: according to Wikipedia Östermalm is "an extremely expensive area, having the highest housing prices in Sweden.", while VisitStockholm describes it as follows "At upscale Östermalm you'll find beautiful architecture, fascinating museums, and classic theater stages. [...] Östermalm is known for high-end shopping, fine dining restaurants, posh bars and nightclubs, and venerated cultural institutions. No wonder then, that 'Östermalm' has become short-hand for luxury, glamour, and affluence. The streets of Biblioteksstan for example are a must for anyone who's looking for exclusive fashion and design brands."

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    RedFox, shak8, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.
  10. mango

Amw66 and Peter Trewhitt like this.