1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr Norman Swan: ME/CFS is more psychosomatic than long-COVID

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Simone, Jan 29, 2021.

1. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is key. Swan's statement is confusing and unclear to people who know the ins and outs. Those who don't will hear pretty much what Simone suggests, and that's certainly feels like it would not have happened three years ago when I was in Australia trying to talk to people at ABC.

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not impressed at all. Still mostly BSing. Post-viral syndromes are not at all well defined, what the hell is he talking about? Either he has no idea about the history here or he is lying his ass off. Again.

All he's doing here is arguing that in his opinion ME has nothing to do with infections, that it's a completely different thing, whatever it is. Because he believes in whatever psychosomatic crap he wants to say but can't because he knows there's no evidence for it and here people demanded evidence. So all he did is demur and argue that ME is completely different and has nothing to do with infections because he needs that to be true for his beliefs.

Jerk. Still putting his personal beliefs above literally millions of lives.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He is genuinely oblivious that this is what he has dismissed as psychosomatic fatigue, uh? That he lumped all of this as somehow sub-symptoms of one symptom? Turns out that when people are exposed to information they may think differently. Uh, Who knew? Oh, wait, I know, the people who keep saying that about us. Funny thing about that, it's actually the other way around. Who knew? Definitely not those people who are supremely confident in their intuition as long as they can ignore contradictory evidence.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1419821341830639617

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some Cognitive Behavioural Therapy will fix that nerve fibre loss, no problems!

Missense, EzzieD, Amw66 and 9 others like this.