1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Drop-out from chronic pain treatment programmes: Is randomization justified in biopsychosocial approaches?, 2021, Bicego et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract
    Objective: To identify profiles of patients who are at risk of dropping out from biopsychosocial approaches to chronic pain management.

Patients: A total of 575 patients were included in the study. Of these, 203 were randomized into 4 treatment groups: self-hypnosis/self-care; music/self-care; self-care; and psychoeducation/cognitive behavioural therapy. The remaining 372 patients were not randomized, as they presented with the demand to learn self-hypnosis/self-care, and therefore were termed a “self-hypnosis/self-care demanders” group.

Methods: Socio-demographics and behavioural data were included in the analyses. Univariates analyses, comparing early drop-outs (never attended treatment), late drop-outs (6/9 sessions’ treatment) and continuers were conducted in order to select variables to include in a multivariate logistic regression.

Results: Univariate analyses yielded 8 variables, out of 18 potential predictors for drop-out, which were eligible for inclusion in the multivariate logistic regression. The model showed that having an intermediate or high educational level protects against dropping out early or late in the pain management process. Having to wait for more than 4 months before starting the treatment increases the risk of never starting it. Being randomized increases the risk of never starting the treatment.

Conclusion: In a context in which randomization is considered a “gold standard” in evidence-based practice, these results indicate that this very principle could be deleterious to pain management in patients with chronic pain.

Lay Abstract
    The aim of this study was to identify profiles of patients who are at risk of dropping out from biopsychosocial approaches to chronic pain management. A total of 575 patients were included in the study. Of these, 203 patients were randomized into 4 treatment groups: self-hypnosis-/self-care; music/self-care; self-care; psychoeducation/cognitive behavioural therapy. The remaining 372 patients were not randomized, as they presented with the demand to learn self-hypnosis/self-care, and hence formed a “self-hypnosis/self-care demanders” group. Analyses of socio-demographics and behavioural data were conducted, comparing early drop-outs (never attended treatment), late drop-outs (6/9 sessions’ treatment) and continuers. Results showed that having an intermediate or high educational level protects against dropping out early or late in the management process. Having to wait for more than 4 months before starting the treatment, and being randomized, increases the risk of never starting it. Thus, in a context in which randomization is considered as a “gold standard” in evidence-based practice, these results indicate that this very principle could be deleterious to pain management in patients with chronic pain.

Abstract-only at time of posting, https://www.medicaljournals.se/jrm/content/abstract/10.2340/16501977-2824

Snowdrop and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do the authors not realise that randomisation only occurs in trials, not in normal service treatment? So how can randomisation be deleterious to normal service treatment?

FMMM1, Mithriel, Sly Saint and 15 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That was my immediate thought too. What a daft idea for a study.

So surprise surprise, patients may stick with a treatment for longer if they get quick access to it and have a free choice from a tasty selection. Whether any of the 'treatments' work is another matter.

FMMM1, Mithriel, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They can't even consider the obvious explanation for most drop-outs: it's completely useless. In the many BPS papers I have seen going around, I have never seen a single examination of drop-outs. They are simply stated as a number and no one ever asks or questions why. Not one that I can remember anyway. The possibility that the treatment is useless is simply not considered.

Literally the very foundational principle of the scientific method: you are probably wrong and should assume so. And it's literally excluded from any consideration. Amazing. EBM truly is an anti-science process, an alternative to science in every possible way.

Art Vandelay, alktipping, sea and 2 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

So, adequate controls are out, and now randomisation is out.

Not much left of the R & C in RCT (Randomised Controlled Trial).

All that is left is a trial for patients. But we knew that already.

Andy, Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  6. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Personal experience with a chronic pain treatment program. If you wanted a pain med, you had to show up at the 8 weekly sessions. So generic. I learned that I don't have to make my bed and I should shop for all groceries at one store. That was the useful stuff.

We had therabands (huge stretchy bands) to use. I got the most godawful pain from using them.

By the way, CBT is like post structuralism, a cultish system. Useless. When I'm in a deep pain, sure, I am naturally catastrophizing for as long as the intensity of pain signals warrants. Ho-hum.

Mithriel, NelliePledge, Wyva and 6 others like this.