1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

EDS sufferer to study medicine after long wait for correct diagnosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and Connective Tissue Disorders' started by MeSci, Sep 29, 2022.

Tags:
  1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For years, Suffolk teenager Katy Shaw's symptoms were either misdiagnosed or not believed.

Eventually she was found to have a genetic disorder that caused constant dizziness, fainting and pain when standing. After a spell in hospital, she began her A-levels two months late and using a wheelchair. Here she shares her story and explains what heading to Cambridge to study medicine means to her.

The main condition I have is Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS), a genetic connective tissue disorder I was born with....

When I was about 14 years old, I began noticing that I felt dizzy and light-headed when I had to stand for more that a few minutes and would need to sit down a lot.

This was the beginning of a condition called Postural Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS), a common comorbidity of EDS.

More at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-63033068

MEMarge, Ariel, Suffolkres and 4 others like this.
  2. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These sorts of articles only harm us further in the eyes of the medical profession. There is zero evidence that the sorts of symptoms POTS patients have are caused by a genetic form of EDS.

sebaaa, Hutan, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Right. Anecdotally, EDS and POTS seem to co-occur but there's no science I know of to support it. And regardless, they're separate problems.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I wish her well with her studies. I don't know enough about the different genetic forms of EDS to understand whether there could be a link with POTS.

MeSci, MEMarge, Ariel and 3 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do worry about some of the things in the article, but I wish her well & am glad she's going on to study medicine, it takes so much courage to go public with anything.
    Regardless of anything else she will make a compassionate & empathetic doctor, good luck to her

6. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We are dealing with the Teams referenced here for Katie ....and their attitude to CYP with ME is similar.....

ukxmrv likes this.