1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Effect of neuromuscular electrical stimulation on the recovery of people with COVID-19 admitted to the ICU: A narrative review, Burgess et al, 2021

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Andy, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Effect of neuromuscular electrical stimulation on the recovery of people with COVID-19 admitted to the intensive care unit: A narrative review
    Link to abstract, https://www.medicaljournals.se/jrm/content/abstract/10.2340/16501977-2805
    Currently there doesn't appear to be any link to the article itself, I assume it will appear in time.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Although I can see the rational for trying this, it is highly possible that PEM could be triggered by such electrical stimulation. So people with this symptom could end up with their condition being worsened by such intervention.

Michelle, alktipping, Trish and 2 others like this.
  3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

some one seeking another cashcow

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is worth studying, though I don't think the authors of this review really understand the relationship between the benefits they cite "muscle atrophy, improve muscle strength and function, maintain blood flow and reduce oedema".

Cardiovascular fitness will still decline even with electrical stimulation as proposed.

5. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that (testing whether PEM can be triggered by electrical muscle stimulation) would be worthwhile. There are other possibilities, such as the cognitive effort to get those muscles moving being responsible for triggering PEM. I'm pretty convinced that muscle damage, and the consequent immune response, was responsible for my triggering of PEM, but proper scientific testing is better than just assuming that a hypothesis is correct.

alktipping, Wyva and Peter Trewhitt like this.