1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Effects of Yijinjing Qigongin Alleviating Fatigue, Sleep Quality and Health Status on Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: ... 2023 Xie et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Background: Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a chronic disease characterized by various symptoms such as pathological fatigue, cognitive dysfunction, and inability to recover energy after waking up. The Yijinjing, a kind of health care practice from ancient China, consists of 12 movements, and it is considered as one of the complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) for health maintenance, health care and disease healing. In this study, multiple scales were used to evaluate the effects of Yijinjjing intervention on the clinical symptoms of CFS. Patients and

Methods: Forty patients with CFS were randomly assigned to Yijinjing group and the cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) group separately. The Yijinjing intervention was practiced 6 times per week, among which one exercise should be guided by the teacher of the faculty in the university, and another 5 times should be finished at home over 12 consecutive weeks. Similarly, the control group received cognitive education, including popular science lectures and psychological counseling related to CFS prevention and treatment for 12 weeks. Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory-20 (MFI-20), Short Form 36-item Health Survey (SF-36) and Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) were assessed before and after intervention.

Results: Intra-group analysis showed that the differences in MFI-20, SF-36, and PSQI were statistically significant (p<0.05) after the intervention of 12 weeks Yijinjing intervention. Compared with the CBT group, the differences in MFI-20 and PSQI of the Yijinjing group were statistically significant (p<0.05), but SF-36 was superior to the CBT group in terms of physical function, bodily pain, general health and vitality (p<0.05).

Conclusion: Yijinjing can significantly improve sleep disorders, fatigue and quality of life in patients with CFS, and is superior to behavioral cognitive education in pain and vitality.

Paywall, https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/528827

DokaGirl, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately, yesterday I read a comment in another thread recommending ignoring any Chinese studies involving health and religion/tradition, due to bias. In this case, it sounds far too easy to make the study come up with the results they desire.

DokaGirl likes this.
  3. aehend

aehend Established Member

I strongly suspect bias as well. However, Qigong and modified Tai chi seem like movement modalities that would be worth attempting if people are inclined. Gentle, mindful, and very healthy if not overdone. I don't doubt they're more effective than CBT, which doesn't work that well anyway.

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

My limited experience of doing Tai Chi and yoga when I was healthy is that albeit the movement is smooth and not jarring it is like dance a question of holding yourself in positions and moving through them in a controlled way. This is beneficial for healthy people in postural and muscle strengthening. But deceptively demanding energetically so of questionable appropriateness for people with ME

I did try a couple of yoga classes that the teacher had done her best to adapt for chronically ill. I couldn’t manage to hold many of the positions. The guided meditation part was ok. You don’t get that with tai chi though.

if your ME is not severe and you’ve got someone to cook clean and do washing for you maybe you might be lucky to manage 1/2 an hour of tai chi sitting down. It wouldn’t be my top priority for spending my valuable energy.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Trish, shak8 and oldtimer like this.
  5. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I love qigong. The other night I was wondering why I was so achy, and I realized I had forgotten to do my daily qigong.

It does give me a little energy, maybe from increasing circulation and enhancing breathing. But the main thing I've noticed is pain relief, enough to make the exercise worth it.

Trish likes this.