Efficacy and Acceptance of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in Adults with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Meta-analysis, 2024, Maas genannt Bermpohl et al.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Ah, the old it doesn't match what we [believe we] see in the clinic therefore the trial data must be wrong gambit.

So why bother with trials at all? Clearly the only evidence you will accept is anything that can be twisted to support your pre-existing views. Just declare whatever result you want and stop pretending and wasting all that money and time.

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hey, it makes sense if you don't think about it and want those outcomes to be true regardless of whether they are. Because of this, the high bias is a feature, not a bug. Otherwise how could they claim those false things?

3. rvallee

Every good service business knows that your most satisfied clients are those who never come back. Come on this is business 101.

4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They mention that in a few cases the definition of CFS used was a cut-off on an appropriate scale--i e the chalder fatigue scale

Peter Trewhitt, Sean and Trish like this.
  5. rvallee

So the most recent one is from 2021, that's around the last update of the Cochrane review, which is largely identical to this. Most are before 2015. So nothing new. And all the studies use the same general approach and methodology, so it's basically about 20 times the same thing. How can this review even be justified outside of simply adding yet another "because we also say so"?

It's really hard to accept that our lives are destroyed by such mediocrity.

EzzieD, ukxmrv, oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It is usually the mediocrities that do the destroying. It is the one thing they are not mediocre at.

I wish that was a joke.

rvallee, EzzieD, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

:emoji_fire:

Sean, Midnattsol and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah yes I see now. Strange decision.

EzzieD, Amw66, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.