Efficacy of cognitive behavioral therapy targeting severe fatigue following COVID-19: results of a randomized controlled trial 2023, Kuut, Knoop et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Grigor, May 8, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Dolphin, Hutan and oldtimer like this.
  2. Arvo

Arvo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can only read the first page, but it's a good response @Joan Crawford :thumbup: , thank you for writing it.

Dolphin, Sean and oldtimer like this.
  3. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This same as published except the references have been reformatted in published edition.

Dear Editor,

Kuut et al (2023) published their trial of CBT for severe, prolonged fatigue in patients
    following Covid-19 infection (ReCOVer). Unfortunately, their trial design and
    methodology are at high risk of expectation bias due to the sole use of subjective
    primary outcome measures in a highly variable condition coupled with an inability to
    blind trial participants for inclusion or exclusion from the psychologist-delivered
    intervention (CBT) or not (CAU) (Edwards, 2021). Such poor-quality trial designs
    have been subjected to rigorous 3-year review and deemed to be of very low quality
    (NICE (2021)). The wide-ranging assumptions underpinning the CBT model used in
    the trial and the efficacy for its use in general has been much criticised for its
    inconsistency and is highly contested due to underlying trial design weaknesses and
    intervention content (Geraghty et al., 2019).

The inherent bias problems with the use of subjective outcome measures in
    unblinded trial designs are well known. By using such a trial design, it can be
    predicted that expectation bias will result in modest, positive changes when
    assessed via subjective questionnaires. Furthermore, it is likely that modest
    changes will be unrelated to real world benefits to patients, such as return to
    work/resumption of occupation or studies, full re-engagement in family life and the
    absence of on-going troubling symptoms, such as post exertional malaise, cognitive
    dysfunction, which were not assessed in this trial (Bonilla et al, 2023). Therefore, the
    ReCOVer trial is unable to develop a reliable evidence-base or provide an adequate
    gauge of efficacy of the CBT intervention on which to base any patient treatment
    recommendations. Objective measures of pre and post-intervention patient ability
    are needed in unblinded trial designs to inform good quality clinical decision making.
    An opportunity to assess such arose within this trial as actigraphy data was recorded
    at T0 and T1, according to the trial protocol (Kuut et al., 2021). Unfortunately, this
    data was not published missing an opportunity to provide valuable information about
    efficacy, which the study claimed to assess. The authors need to publish this
    information to allow independent examination.

Using the CIS as a primary outcome measure is problematic as this has a well￾known ceiling effect in severely fatigued patients. It is therefore, unable to record
    patients who have worsened. Further, as harms have been reported in similar
    conditions and adverse events were only explored at T1 in this study, not at 6-month
    follow up, it is hard to ascertain if any patients have been harmed. Moreover,
    defining a difference of 6 points as significant is questionable as this is likely to
    overestimate the subjective positive gains, as outcomes were significantly higher for
    CBT at T1 (M=30.6 (1.4)) than those found in healthy controls (17.3 (10.1)) (Schulte￾van Maaren, 2014).

Ethically, due to the limitations of the trial design to inform clinical practice and the
    predictable modest results, along with the ongoing high level of debility, perhaps it
    would be more helpful to invest in good quality psychological support for patients
    while the underlying mechanisms can be determined.

References
    Bonilla H, Quach TC, Tiwari A, Bonilla AE, Miglis M, Yang PC, Eggert LE, Sharifi H,
    Horomanski A, Subramanian A, Smirnoff L, Simpson N, Halawi H, Sum-Ping O,
    Kalinowski A, Patel ZM, Shafer RW, Geng LC. (2023). Myalgic
    Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is common in post-acute sequelae of
    SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC): Results from a post-COVID-19 multidisciplinary
    clinic. Frontier of Neurology, 24 (14):1090747.

Edwards, J. (2021). Myalgic encephalomyelitis (or encephalopathy) / chronic fatigue
    syndrome: diagnosis and management. NICE guideline NG206. Appendix 3: Expert
    testimonies The difficulties of conducting intervention trials for the treatment of
    myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Downloaded October, 2021,
    https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng206/evidence/appendix-3-expert-testimonies￾pdf-333546588760

Geraghty, K., Jason, L.A., Sunnquist, M, Blease, C.R., Tuller, D.M., & Adeniji, C.,
    (2019). The 'Cognitive Behavioural Model' of chronic fatigue syndrome: Critique of a
    flawed model, Journal of Health Psychology 6(1).

Kuut, T.A., et al. (2021). A randomised controlled trial testing the efficacy of Fit after
    COVID, a cognitive behavioural therapy targeting severe postinfectious fatigue
    following COVID-19 (ReCOVer): study protocol. Trials, 22:867

Kuut, T.A., et al. (2023). Efficacy of cognitive behavioral therapy targeting severe
    fatigue following COVID-19: results of a randomized controlled trial. Clinical
    Infectious Diseases, ciad257.

NICE (2021). Myalgic encephalomyelitis (or encephalopathy)/chronic fatigue
    syndrome: diagnosis and management. NICE guideline [NG206].

Schulte-van Maaren, Y.W.M. (2014). NormQuest: reference values for ROM
    instruments and questionnaires. Retrieved May 12, 2023, from
    https://scholarlypublications.universiteitleiden.nl/handle/1887/23044

Sly Saint, Simon M, Tal_lula and 14 others like this.
  4. Joan Crawford

Full text below

Mithriel, EzzieD, Dolphin and 2 others like this.
  5. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent. Can I share the text online freely?

EzzieD, Dolphin, Arvo and 1 other person like this.
  6. Joan Crawford

Sure

EzzieD, Dolphin, Arvo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jacob Richter

Jacob Richter Established Member (Voting Rights)

This is excellent, thank you Joan for writing it.

8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for this, Joan. :thumbup:

MEMarge, EzzieD, Arvo and 2 others like this.
  9. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Response by Kuut et al. to Biere-Rafi et al. and Joan S Crawford.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    Mithriel, RedFox, Esther12 and 7 others like this.
  10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The reply seems to fall under the "admit the limitations of the study so you can't be accused of ignoring them but then act like they don't matter" category.

Can anyone check if the results exceed the modest improvements that could be reasonably assumed to be merely a placebo effect? (yes I know that placebo effects are context dependent. The authors seem to argue that they have obtained better results than expected for placebo)

Mithriel, EzzieD, Arvo and 5 others like this.
  11. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They used the flawed Wessely review to argue that placebo effects in ME/CFS are small.

The effect for the primary outcome fatigue is quite large (Cohen's d of 0.69) while the effect for physical fatigue was probably not clinically significant (Cohen's d of 0.3).

EzzieD, Arvo, Joan Crawford and 4 others like this.
  12. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunate that nobody touched on the strange numbers in table 3.

They report for example a standard error of 0.5 in the CBT-group at baseline. Because the sample size was 57, the standard deviation would be: 0.5 * sqrt(57) = 3.77.

This is extremely small. The mean was 47! In other papers, for example on ME/CFS patients, the standard deviation is around 12-15 points.

EDIT: This was an error: the post-treatment the SD is often large, above 10 points, as it was in this paper. But at baseline the SD is often smaller, around 4-5 points, making the SD 3.77 small but not in an extreme way.
    See this post by Mark Vink further up this thread: https://www.s4me.info/threads/effic...23-kuut-knoop-et-al.33229/page-11#post-482332

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    EzzieD, Arvo, livinglighter and 6 others like this.
  13. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. While the effect is larger than that reported by Wessely, this doesn't save the study because this is an unreliable and unorthodox method for attempting control for placebo effects.

I'm not getting the impression that care as usual is generally a positive and helpful experience for long covid patients.

MEMarge, EzzieD, Arvo and 6 others like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh. No. Way. Total mild shock on my face. I'm sure the reasons are very mysterious.

Arnie Pye, Mithriel, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  15. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interestingly, they now claim in their response that there was no difference in the actigraphy results. Has anyone ever seen a response in correspondence that cites data deliberately left out of the actual study? ADD: And isn't it research misconduct to fail to report results that do not support your conclusions. I mean, they're acknowledging they had null results for this outcome. It's a disgrace not to include them in the report of the trial.

Sly Saint, Mithriel, MEMarge and 16 others like this.
  16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks very much to those who wrote.
    It was great to get this out of them:
    It's a pity they didn't give the raw numbers but still useful.

bobbler, Mithriel, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  17. dave30th

More than a pity. It is research misconduct.

bobbler, Mithriel, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder whether the numbers could be obtained using a freedom of information request?

bobbler, Grigor, Trish and 5 others like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The vastly more methodologically robust Rituximab study completely refutes their claim. There is a sizable placebo effect in self-report for ME/CFS. Like most other conditions.
    Given the history of this pattern of behaviour from the psychosomatic ideologues since at least PACE (2011) it is now way past mere misconduct.

There are simply no excuses for them not knowing of this problem, and dealing with it. There never were, but there sure as hell isn't now.

To persistently not report, or to misreport, or to fail to adequately take into account results that clearly falsify your hypothesis is, IMHO, straight scientific fraud.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
    bobbler, MEMarge, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  20. dave30th

Hm. They might insist they are including them in another study or something. Maybe they'll do three CBT long covid trials, call them all a success, then publish all three sets of null actigraphy findings together a few years later while explaining how they're not a good measure because they contradict the subjective ones.

The phrasing implies that both groups improved on that measure. But it's hard to tell. Obviously those findings were disappointing to them. I wonder why they even included them? And why, if they decided to, only for the T1 results, not T2 and T3.

Definitely worth writing to the journal and indicating that hiding salient data that might undermine your conclusions is research misconduct. The actual numbers won't change that. But it would be interesting if the non-intervention group actually did better, even if it wasn't statistically significant.

Hutan, bobbler, Mithriel and 12 others like this.