Efficacy of daratumumab in refractory primary Sjögren disease Nocturne 2023

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Jaybee00, Sep 25, 2023.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not fixated but gave the specific reason for picking it.

Like what? All I have seen looks like dross so far. I have been reading papers on autoantibodies for forty years. Most of them are dross. Can you cite a 'high quality study'?

That sounds like neurological-wishful thinking to me. I am not aware of hard data and by and large neurologists do not understand autoimmunity very well.

Currently available data are unlikely to be reliable since ritux has been going since 1996 and the serious problems took time to emerge. Daratuzumab has had nothing like the range of usage yet.

FMMM1, SNT Gatchaman and Hutan like this.
  2. siobhanfirestone

siobhanfirestone Established Member (Voting Rights)

You just linked the Iwasaki study that literally says: A number of significant changes in circulating leukocytes, including increases in non-classical monocytes, activated B cells, double-negative B cells, exhausted T cells, and IL-4/IL-6 secreting CD4 T cells, and decreases in conventional DC1 and central memory CD4 T cells were identified?
    You read things like this, and note that immunotherpaies are the only stuff in the literature that isnt poor quality that is helping people, and you totally dismiss b cells?
    Im not saying we have the complete theory, im saying its strong enough to pursue and is being pursued by quite a few teams
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.08.09.22278592v1

3. siobhanfirestone

I will go tell my neurologist who is running a trial for stem cells in MS that he is wrong then haha

4. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't dismiss the Iwasaki study or B cells at all, that's why I posted it. However, “numerous data points showing increased b cell activity” and “there are so many high quality studies its bursting out my ears” is very different to me than having less than a handful of extremely noisy studies, with several studies not finding this difference or even somewhat contradicting these results. Replication and building on Iwasaki's results is certainly desperately needed, but for now the only thing I'm certain of is that modulating CD20 B cells is insufficient.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    SNT Gatchaman and Hutan like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Actually I would dismiss the Iwasaki study as telling us nothing reliable. The data quoted looked entirely like noise to me. Real immunology isn't picking out odd populations a bit more than others like this. There were hundreds of papers of this sort on RA and SLE and none of them told us anything useful.

Real immunology sticks out not so much as like a sore thumb as like a sore giraffe's neck when you hit on it. All I see at present is wishful thinking.

FMMM1 likes this.
  6. siobhanfirestone

im out at the moment, will find my list when i get home in a few days - plz nudge if i forget

EndME likes this.
  7. siobhanfirestone

Before i start i should say i do find t cell findings very interesting as well, if targeted therapies come out for that i would be intrigued to see effect

(reduced list for brevity) Ok to keep it simple the b cell stuff and aab stuff i have found to be good/high quality is both theory and practise in terms of:

theory:
    As previously mentioned Klein, J. et al. Distinguishing features of Long COVID identified through immune profiling. Preprint at medRxiv
    patients with pain https://openres.ersjournals.com/content/9/suppl_10/205.abstract
    general, albeit patchy, aab theory - https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2022.981532/full

practise:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9932260/ (i accept IVIG is a lil tricky but the working hypothesis is b cell orientated)
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.08.31.23294813v1

the immunopheresis study, we know a few people on it. they did very well and then relapse quickly, its clearly not enough, i can see why carmen is mixing it with some b cell therapies as well.

There is more out there but im travelling atm, best wishes

Tia likes this.
  8. siobhanfirestone

also yes to the CD20 b cell, fluge is on to something hopefully and i hope we get a blinded placebo phase 2 with his dara because i really dont want to have to do full chemo

Tia likes this.