Open EhEx-COV19, Trondheim, Norway

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Midnattsol, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

(Google translated from the study website)

Training after undergoing corona disease

Are you struggling to get started with physical activity after having covid-19? Now you can help us find out whether a new e-Health tool is an effective aid in training after corona.

Who can participate?
    You can join the study if you:

1. Are between 18 and 60 years old.
    2. Live not too far from Trondheim.
    3. Have experienced covid-19 disease one or more times.
    4. Struggling to be as physically active as you want.
    5. Has a stable disease picture.
    Benefits of participating:
    • Opportunity to get a heart rate monitor and test a brand new activity app.
    • Knowledge and motivation to become more physically active.
    • Better overall health.
    • Potentially increased quality of life.
    More about the study
    We want to see if an activity watch, app and associated digital follow-up system are useful tools for getting back into training after having corona. We know that many struggle to be physically active after undergoing covid-19, either as a direct consequence of the disease or due to changes the pandemic brought about in everyday routines.

The results from this project, which we are carrying out in collaboration with the University of Oslo, will give us knowledge about exercise after undergoing corona and what role a new e-Health tool can potentially play in helping more people return to regular physical activity.

https://www.ntnu.no/cerg/trening-etter-korona

RedFox likes this.
  2. Midnattsol

At least they want to use a heart rate activity monitor. I'm uneasy about the
    "Struggling to be as physically active as you want" part, which could easily be how someone not familiar with PEM sees their level of functioning.

alktipping, Kalliope and RedFox like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Any idea what that means?
    The description seems to apply to anyone inactive after infection, whether they have long covid or not, and whether they have PEM or not.

alktipping and Midnattsol like this.
  4. Midnattsol

No. I'm considering emailing them to ask.

The research group has a lot of knowledge on physical function and a lot of data on both healthy/normal individuals and individuals with various illnesses from Trøndelag county. So there is potential for good here, though just using an activity watch may not give the data necessary.. they do CPETs but I have no idea if this will be part of this study.

alktipping, NelliePledge, Ash and 3 others like this.
  5. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's a subtle shift in the language they use. It used to be researchers assumed pwME were stupid and lazy, now they're throwing away that piece of psychosomatic ideology and acknowledge pwLC want to be active. Doesn't excuse potential flaws like not excluding people with PEM though.

6. Midnattsol

I am unsure about their knowledge on the topic. The university has some prominent Norwegian psychosocial model of ME/CFS supporters. It is here the Lightning Process study is being performed, and the university hospital's treatment of ME/CFS has been known to be psychosocial oriented (though I have heard it has improved for adults in recent years, if one is not unlucky with the healthcare personell one meets. For children it is reported it is one place parents can be forced to send their kids to LP courses or lose treatment options or be reported to child welfare services).

Kalliope, Amw66 and Trish like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The tone strongly suggests this is yet another BPS fake study where they think people just need a little encouragement. It's an activity app. They either didn't listen one bit to patients, or are deciding they know better anyway.

I really have no idea how they even get those beliefs, it makes zero sense. And who has PEM, the main reason for exertion intolerance, and a "stable disease picture"? They're obviously pre-selecting for people with little to no problems. Typical.

Ash and alktipping like this.