1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

electric heat 'things' recommendations

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by bobbler, Sep 19, 2022.

1. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone got any tips from experience of good places to buy electric heat pads (I'd love ones I could sit on/do my whole back and legs) and brands that are good?

Open to other related snuggly things too if anyone's got other bits to recommend

Haven't put much thought into what to get but having had hot water bottles as go-tos for years and the heating bill stuff coming up then it seems time to explore the new world of possibilities of what's worth trying!

2. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wouldn't be without mine, which is a LIVIVO ELECTRIC HEATED THERMAL PAD MODEL HP3040.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Therapeu...2-ecec-439f-bd11-856bb2c64ee0&redirect=mobile

Iit comes with a plush cover (essential), and has 4 choices of temperature. It does switch itself off after a while, so for example if you fell asleep, you won't wàste electricity. The pad is big and you can put it under your legs or over your torso- it's very soothing for pain.
    I got it from ebay.

I also have one of those microwavable hard plastic fat- frizbee type that you do in the microwave for 8 mins and lasts 6 rs. I would recomend that as back up to keep feet/under the covers warm ( even in Summer my feet are like ice!)
    :hug:

Ariel, Arnie Pye, Milo and 6 others like this.
  3. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am also never without one for my icebox feet. I just bought it on Amazon. Have used daily for 6 years.

4. bobbler

Ha! PS everyone I can spell, just can't edit the title :banghead::rofl:

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sorted.

6. bobbler

Thank you!

Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.
  7. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have got an electric back warmer, a neck warmer and eye warmers and they have all been really helpful at different times.

Eye heaters are the most recent, I got from Amazon to treat blurry vision and assist recovery from suspected omicron which caused fairly major pink eye. Best used first thing in the morning as this is when heat treatment for eyes has most effect apparently, I read somewhere. They are recommended for blepharitis and I dont have that but do need to be more careful with eye hygiene as I age. My routine is wake, wash eyes, put back and eye warmers on for 15 mins timer, warms me up to start the day.

My eyes are definitely better at focussing during the day if I do this as they have been getting blurry due to ME malaise fatigue plus aging.

The back things I picked up from Lidl years ago when I was able to get out occasionally and the eye one I use is "Silk Heated Eye Mask, PJYU Hot Eye Compress" recently acquired from Amazon one month ago. You can set a time and heat level on it, I use heat 3 of 4 and 15 mins. Thought it was worth passing on.

https://amzn.eu/d/aEWttsm #Amazon

bobbler, MEMarge and Trish like this.
  8. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My heating pad is so helpful and soothing, but I have a hard time describing why. I use one as described by @hellytheelephant. The larger the better. I use it all year round, with the fan on and when it’s summer, with the AC on.

9. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This isn't electric, but they are very warm :

Code:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09PKPGWJY

The only colour they have available at the moment is pink but they sometimes have black, grey, navy blue, green, or burgundy.

[Edit : I bought myself a pink one - I wouldn't recommend it - it's bubblegum colour and a really, really startling bright pink.]

OH and I have two each of these so we have a spare when spills and mess happen. They wash easily in a machine and dry quickly. They haven't shrunk. On me (I'm short) they go down to my ankles, but OH's goes down to his shins.

We also have one each of a shorter, thinner, but otherwise similar product which can be worn instead of the thicker and longer ones, or can be worn underneath the thicker ones when it is really, really cold.

Although all these things have cost a lot when added up, we still think it has saved money in heating costs. We live in a poorly designed and freezing cold house and our bills are always high. The rise in cost of electricity and gas frightened us into getting more clothing suitable for the weather. During the summer we will probably have to do something to improve our insulation a lot.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    bobbler, oldtimer, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  10. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got bought this washable electric blanket as a birthday present and it's been wonderful. Very quick to heat up and comfortable to use. It's incredibly cosy both as an extra bed layer and when lounging.

Attached Files:

Ariel, oldtimer and bobbler like this.