1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Encephalitis: 'Friendly fire' in my brain saw me sectioned in error

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by MeSci, Apr 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Encephalitis: 'Friendly fire' in my brain saw me sectioned in error - BBC News

Model Lucy Dawson was 21 when she was sectioned in error due to an illness that was difficult to diagnose. During a three-month stay on the psychiatric ward an accident would leave her permanently disabled.

"At one point I really thought my life was over, I was so depressed," Lucy says. "But somehow I managed to turn it around - I was so unlucky, but at the same time I'm so lucky to have persevered."

Lucy was in her final year studying criminology at the University of Leicester in 2016 when she became ill and underwent a complete personality change...

But it wasn't until January the family finally received a diagnosis for Lucy's illness. She hadn't experienced a mental breakdown - she had, in fact, had encephalitis, a rare but serious inflammation of the brain which can be fatal if not treated quickly.

It is sometimes caused by viral infections or by the immune system mistakenly attacking the brain, known as "friendly fire", which is what Lucy experienced.

It can be difficult to diagnose, as symptoms can develop over hours, days or weeks, and include confusion or disorientation, changes in personality and behaviour, difficulty speaking and loss of consciousness.

Encephalitis can damage or destroy nerve cells (neurons) and this damage is classed as an acquired brain injury. Survivors often experience completely different outcomes.

More at link

Sean, alktipping, Yessica and 9 others like this.