Epidemiologic Features of Recovery From SARS-CoV-2 Infection, 2024, Oelsner, Balte et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by rvallee, Jun 17, 2024.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Epidemiologic Features of Recovery From SARS-CoV-2 Infection
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2820087

Findings In this cohort study of 4708 participants in a US meta-cohort, the median self-reported time to recovery from SARS-CoV-2 infection was 20 days, and an estimated 22.5% had not recovered by 90 days. Women and adults with suboptimal prepandemic health, particularly clinical cardiovascular disease, had longer times to recovery, whereas vaccination prior to infection and infection during the Omicron variant wave were associated with shorter times to recovery.

Results Of 4708 participants with self-reported SARS-CoV-2 infection (mean [SD] age, 61.3 [13.8] years; 2952 women [62.7%]), an estimated 22.5% (95% CI, 21.2%-23.7%) did not recover by 90 days post infection. Median (IQR) time to recovery was 20 (8-75) days. By 90 days post infection, there were significant differences in restricted mean recovery time according to sociodemographic, clinical, and lifestyle characteristics, particularly by acute infection severity (outpatient vs critical hospitalization, 32.9 days [95% CI, 31.9-33.9 days] vs 57.6 days [95% CI, 51.9-63.3 days]; log-rank P < .001). Recovery by 90 days post infection was associated with vaccination prior to infection (hazard ratio [HR], 1.30; 95% CI, 1.11-1.51) and infection during the sixth (Omicron variant) vs first wave (HR, 1.25; 95% CI, 1.06-1.49). These associations were mediated by reduced severity of acute infection (33.4% and 17.6%, respectively). Recovery was unfavorably associated with female sex (HR, 0.85; 95% CI, 0.79-0.92) and prepandemic clinical cardiovascular disease (HR, 0.84; 95% CI, 0.71-0.99). No significant multivariable-adjusted associations were observed for age, educational attainment, smoking history, obesity, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or elevated depressive symptoms. Results were similar for reinfections.

Conclusions and Relevance In this cohort study, more than 1 in 5 adults did not recover within 3 months of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Recovery within 3 months was less likely in women and those with preexisting cardiovascular disease and more likely in those with COVID-19 vaccination or infection during the Omicron variant wave.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2024
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Results were similar for reinfections" suggests that every infection is another roll of the dice / pulling the trigger.

So the only known risk factors would be half the population and common health problems, but only by about 15%.

The main protective factor of vaccines appears to be reducing severity of acute illness, but it's not a sure thing, and their uptake will only go down with time.

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Worth noting - obesity didn't increase odds, nor a history of 'elevated depressive symptoms'.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
  4. Hutan

I think this potentially is one of the better studies we have seen - prospective, very large, multiple cohorts. I'm just not sure why the people with reported SARS-CoV-2 infection were such a low percentage (14.2%) of the people who responded to the questionnaire. Given this study was done over the first 3 years, I would have expected a much higher percentage.

I'm also not sure why they would exclude asymptomatic cases from the main analysis.

5. Hutan

Note the high mean age of the sample.

Vaccination prior to infection was also very low (20.5%) - making me think that most of the surveys must have been sent out earlier rather than later. I think that low level of vaccination makes it more likely that the vaccinated people are different to the full sample - probably more concerned about their health, maybe better able to take steps to look after their health, maybe more able and more likely to convalesce when the got Covid-19. That may (partly) explain their lower risk of Long Covid.

Interesting that neither asthma and smoking increased the chance of Long Covid.

CVD is cardiovascular disease. That result of CVD increasing the risk of poorer recovery might be confounded by a more severe infection.

6. Hutan

Yeah, we've still got this problem of Long Covid being a whole heap of things. It's not surprising that people who have been through a traumatic hospitalisation will take longer to recover, and might not ever recover their pre-illness health. That's going to really blur identification of risk factors for ME/CFS-like Long Covid.

It's possible that the inclusion of people with lasting effects of a severe illness that aren't ME/CFS-like is serving to reduce the higher risk from being female. That is, if we had a purer ME/CFS-like sample, being female would be a higher risk of Long Covid.

7. Hutan

That is, higher risks of poor recovery for American Indian and Alaska Native participants