Episodes of nearly fainting

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by Dechi, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I’ve had at least 2 different ones. The latest showed I had bradycardia and this is what brought me to the last cardiologist I saw a few weeks ago and who said he is not worried.

Great tips, I will use that in public for sure. Although I’ve had to ask if I could sit in some stores, for fear of fainting.

Ravn, ahimsa, Annamaria and 1 other person like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's another surprising thing that apparently physicians are not in the least concerned about multiple episodes of fainting if it doesn't fit with an easily figured out disease. It seemed kinda important to me but I've only ever had shrugs of "I dunno" in response and never much of any attempt at trying to figure it out. I've seen it on my files but otherwise no actual attempt at figuring it out beyond a heart check.

I guess it's another one of those things we're supposed to ignore and hope it isn't caused by something lethal. Mostly I got "probably anxiety". Never got asked if I'm anxious, though, just told I probably was. Weird how not being able to test for something isn't always the deal-breaker it is with ME.

ahimsa, Dechi, JohnM and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dechi

It’s a shame really. I found this interesting article. I would very much like to try the meds they are talking about. I seem to ft well with the ME patient they describe :

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/09/27/...drome-abnormality-control-blood-pressure.html

rvallee and Annamaria like this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Conversely I have had high blood pressure for years, and have been tachycardic for a lot of that time, even whilst asleep it seems.

Over a decade of NHS prescribed meds made little to no difference.

Within a week of starting a couple of supplements aimed at making my blood vessels more reactive/flexible my blood pressure dropped down to 'normal' levels. Over a few months I have drastically increased my salt intake, something I rarely used before, apart from on chips and eggs. My blood pressure has continued to fall. So IMO the whole salt causes high BP thing is 'suspect'.

Probably unrelated but I do experience 'brownouts', the sensation, and certain knowledge, that I will pass out if I dont sit down immediately. I have learned to pay attention to this as a coffee table in the head can cause a lot of cleaning up to be necessary, and I hate doing that while concussed ;)

My blood glucose is normal, so it's not that, it's not low blood pressure, it just is something that happens.

I used to pass the poor mans POTS test but do not currently, but it still happens.

Annamaria, Dechi and NelliePledge like this.
  5. Dechi

Ha Ha Ha ! Indeed...

Wonko and Annamaria like this.
  6. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Dechi - I forgot to mention my best tip of all: try to arrange your next faint to happen in the doctor's office. You'll be amazed at the difference that makes. I'd been telling them for years about my fainting, eliciting barely an acknowledgement and certainly no actual interest. But since the day I clean passed out in the clinic I've been getting special treatment like getting to wait in a bed instead of having to sit up in the waiting room, something I'd always been told they couldn't (wouldn't) do. Funny thing is I haven't fainted since (developed tachycardia instead) but I still take up the offer of the bed - which is still helpful - very happily :laugh:

Yessica, MarcNotMark, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uh. Happened to me and all I got was an orange juice (that I didn't... uh... keep).

I usually laugh when I see people recommending to go straight to the clinic for stuff like that. It sure makes sense but it's not like anyone's gonna do much about it once you get there.

Yessica, ladycatlover, Ravn and 3 others like this.