Europe: News from the European Union and the European Parliament

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Sly Saint, Jul 13, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2023
    alktipping, Joh, Wyva and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I copy the relevant sections here, let me know if I omitted some other interesting part:

The European Parliament

(...)

– having regard to its resolution of 18 June 2020 on additional funding for biomedical research on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS)2 ,
    (...)
    – having regard to the DG IPOL workshop of 9 March 2023 on ‘Long COVID’,

(c) COVID, communicable and non-communicable diseases; addressing PASC as part of an EU PAIS strategy

Research:

3. Wyva

Maybe this thread would have a better place in a different subsection of the forum? Because there seems to be lots about long covid and ME/CFS in this resolution, not just the epidemic itself.

Edit: btw, I've been also wondering a lot recently if it is worth creating a regional thread for EU-level things with regards to ME/CFS and long covid. It is a bit scattered all over the place right now.

The thread has been moved

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2023
  4. Wyva

Btw, I've just checked the Hungarian version of the text and while the English text uses the term ME/CFS, the Hungarian one consistently says myalgic encephalomyelitis. Not sure what is going on there as Hungary is definitely a CFS country as far as naming goes. I find it hard to get even sufferers to call it ME/CFS. ME as a term here is pretty much unimaginable. I'm not complaining, of course, I'm just very surprised. :)

5. Wyva

And they call PEM the way I translate it on my website in their translation. Great! They usually translate PEM pretty horribly (on the rare occasion anyone even translates it), because the translator has no idea what it actually means. I don't know if my website was a source for translating the term or it was just a coincidence but I'm glad it is the same.

alktipping, shak8, Starlight and 2 others like this.
  6. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Instead, some translator has committed the sin of rendering (I presume) the French "rappelle" as "recalls" :( Sorry, but that always bugs me when it happens - it is a pig to find a correct English term, but "recall" ain't it.

7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sunak hails ‘right deal for country’ as UK rejoins EU Horizon project

oldtimer, FMMM1, Trish and 3 others like this.
  8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. FMMM1

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  10. FMMM1

Seems strange to reply to your own post ---
    Noticed this in the summary [see link to Facebook post with summary of EMA meeting] -
    "Director General Sandra Gallina from the European Commission, on the other hand, seemed to be the only one at the meeting that thought "more insights into pathology were needed first" before clinical trials could move on. But the European Commission in most cases approves the decisions from EMA, so that should hopefully not become a problem."
    Interested in your take on that i.e. balance between:
    • action now (testing drugs immediately); and
    • more research to deliver this "insights into pathology -- needed first" + what research genetics/genomics like DecodeME?

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)